Aaargh!! The dreaded P!!!!!

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited February 2008 in Commuting chat
I have 2 bikes, 2 commutes: sirrus does the home to station run, 1.75 miles, roads. Old 531 does London office run, 3 miles, mostly bike paths (on road).

Sirrus has regular Spesh standard fit tyres with goo tubes (total waste of time). Old 531 has regular tyre at front and Schwalbe Marathon plus tractor tyre at back.

In 2 years of using old 531, I've had one "P".

In one year of using the Sirrus, I've had 6. Another last night, just what you need after (another) 12 hour day :evil: :evil: :cry:

Am I doing something wrong, am I cursed, or are the tyres on the Sirrus total carp?!?!?!?!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• The obvious question - do you keep the tyres pumped up hard enough? In my experience most commuting punctures are pinch flats. It's easy enough to tell - usually a "snakebite" with two holes ckise together across the tube.

Assuming they're not pinch flats but proper punctures caused by something sharp, maybe the tyres are rubbish. On my old MTB commuter (recently replaced) I used Continental TravelContact tyres - semislick so good on the road, and Kevlar belted. In 10 months and 3,000 miles I only had two punctures - one pinch (my fault, let the tyre get soft) and one sharp (piece of metal wire). Well, three if you count the tube I pinched against the rim while putting the tyre back on :roll:

Only downside with the Conti tyres is that they're a total b*tch to get on and off. On the plus side you don't have to do it very often!
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    I have the elite Sirrus with the armadillo tyres. In one year commuting and on top of pressures never had a puncture in well over a thousand miles. *touches wood*

Are the roads littered with debris where you ride?
    Sometimes I stay out of cycle lanes as the crap from the other traffic has been left there and wouldn't do my bike any good.
    :wink:
    FCN 10