Ding dong with a cement mixer

richardjallen
richardjallen Posts: 691
edited February 2008 in Commuting chat
The other day I was a few meters behind a cement mixer lorry as we were existing a roundabout. This roundabout is on a decline and I pick up some speed comming off it. So I was ready to go into the cycle lane on the left but the lorry was going slower. So the driver must have seen me because they moved into the cycle lane thus preventing me from undertaking. It would have been wrong to go through in the cycle lane at that point and I can understand if the driver was spooked. Anyway I hung back but then they indicated left and stopped. There were cars following so I stopped before going round him and carried on. I thought they must have been lost and that explained their strange move. But 20 seconds later they passed me again. This time they got stuck in traffic ahead. Just as I was about to pass in the cycle lane they flicked the left indicator on. I knew the driver could not turn left so I went though. As I said, I can understand if they were worried about me undertaking as we came off the roundabout but there was no need to persist.

Edit - I know undertaking after the roundabout would have been wrong but once in the cycle lane is it still wrong to go through on the left if the traffic is slower or stopped? A bus for instance would pass on the left if the bus lane was clear and the traffic on the right were moving slower.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Undertaking a lorry/big vehicle is suicide, especially if you only have a metre or so between you and the curb.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • You really should never have done any of that. Why try and overtake a cement mixer on the left? Especially when he would have overtaken you in a few seconds time.

If he was trying to wind you up (which he could have been) you should stll have had him in front of you.

An idiot in front is better than an idiot behind.... :lol:
  • You really should never have done any of that. Why try and overtake a cement mixer on the left? Especially when he would have overtaken you in a few seconds time.

If he was trying to wind you up (which he could have been) you should stll have had him in front of you.

An idiot in front is better than an idiot behind.... :lol:

Going through on the left as we were exiting the roundabout would have been wrong. When I went passed him the first time I went passed on the right and I did not know he was going to go past me again shortly after. If the traffic is going slower or stopped don't people go passed in the cycle lane?
  • If the cycle lane was clear, then I'd sail up it past traffic that is stood still - isn't that what it's there for?

I'd be v wary about using it to undertake slow moving large vehicles though.
    Brighton promoted 2004, Sussex Champs 2003, all downhill from here...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    He could have been indicating to "scare" you from going up the inside which he was probably aware would have been dangerous. He could have been looking out for both of you.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    If I was trying to look out for a cyclist who was trying to pass on my inside, I'd move out from the side of the road, slow down and let them get on with it. I'd rather have the vulnerable little cyclist in front of me where I can see them than down the side of me where I can't.

(I drive buses, by the way.)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Actually, although the driver may have been trying to be an @rse (and it's definitely possible) I actually think the effect of what he did was probably good.

Tipper trucks and concrete mixers are serious hazards for cyclists in London. They are big, have restricted visibility and the drivers are often in a hurry. They often also have exposed wheels which means that a clip can drag a cyclist under.

My advice is don't undertake them EVER. And that means even if you are in a cycle lane. You are better going outside them where the driver has a better view. This MAY have been your driver's intention, in any event by moving into the cycle lane he was intentionally or otherwise inviting you to do the safer thing.

Cheers

J
  • alexB
    alexB Posts: 2,199
    I read your post a couple of times and I honestly think that you've encountered a driver who knows the score and wanted you to understand that going through on the left was dangerous.

I think that thios represents good driving. A driver who has seen you, who has been pro-active to prevent you undertaking at a point where his concentration would have been on other things and who also then tried to send you a warning.

A cheery wave, thumbs up or similar would have been nice from you to let him know you understood.

I had a cement lorry indicating in front of me recently whilst I was stationary at lights (about 10 feet back from him. Before moving off he set of his hazard lights, then briefly shifted to reverse to trigger the warning beeps before finally signalling left and moving off.

To some extent I feel for the good drivers. They have a hard job and keeping an eye on all those mirrors with that level of responsibility if you get it wrong would be a very tough job.
  • He could have been indicating to "scare" you from going up the inside which he was probably aware would have been dangerous. He could have been looking out for both of you.

If I had moved out of the cycle lane and gone passed the stationary traffic on the right then I would have been in the middle of the road or the wrong side. I could pass in the cycle lane, pass on the right between the stationary traffic and the on comming traffic. Which is not very good or stop in lane along with the rest of the traffic. I am aware that stationary cars may still take a left turn. Perhaps he was trying to tell me that by flashing his indicator.

I guess though I will remember the incident and hang back further in future.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    pass on the right between the stationary traffic and the on comming traffic. Which is not very good

on the contrary, most people here will tell you that this is the best place to filter. I certainly believe so.
  • jedster wrote:
    pass on the right between the stationary traffic and the on comming traffic. Which is not very good

on the contrary, most people here will tell you that this is the best place to filter. I certainly believe so.

You're right, it is. I do filter on the right along another section so there's no reason not to at other places. When I feel the gap is too narrow I stop and allow the traffic to move through before carrying on.
  • I've been thinking about this

I think your post title should have been "Set-to with a cement mixer"
    <a>road</a>
  • Set-to? Set in cement?
  • alexB
    alexB Posts: 2,199
    this is a little difficult to grasp initially, but if you've never seen it before have a good look at this page, it could potentially save your life.

Lorry blind spots explained by a lorry driver.
    http://www.movingtargetzine.com/forum/d ... om-nozzer/