Totally confused about new bike

Alibran
Alibran Posts: 370
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I've asked a few questions in the commuting section, but I thought I'd post here as I'm sure now that I want a road bike. The question is really, which one!!

I'll be using the bike to commute (5 days/20 mile round trip) and for leisure rides at weekends. My budget is around £500 (up to £700ish if I can do "bike to work"), but even if my employer agrees, I'm not sure I can trust them over the final payment, so I have doubts there. If I can't do bike to work, I'll have to go for a 0% interest deal, such as Wiggle. I ride a hybrid at the moment, but I'm really not happy with the upright riding position, and I'd like to be able to get some more speed.

My LBS recommends the Trek 1.2 WSD, which I had a look at today, and liked. Nice proportions, triple chainset, has rack eyes, comfy to sit on, and I've been offered a test ride. But, I can't get a good finance deal from them, and I'm having trouble finding anywhere online to get it (Evans only do ship2store, and their nearest store is over 200 miles away).

Thanks to the good review in an issue of Cycling Plus last year, and some comments on these boards, I'm also thinking of the Giant SCR3, available through Wiggle. Again has rack eyes and triple chainset.

I'm also wondering whether it's worth looking at some of last year's models, as it seems like there are good deals to be had, especially in the smaller frame sizes (I'm 5'3). Last year's Focus Variado/Variado Expert from Wiggle come to mind. Although they don't have a triple chainset, how necessary is that, even on the hills?

I'm totally confused, so any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    As you don't mind "last years" (VERY sensible IMHO). have a look at paulscycles web site, especially as you are after the small sizes. This for example looks a good deal

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s6p1110

Usual disclaimer: no connection except as a satisfied customer on 2 or 3 occasions.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Have a look on http://www.devercycles.co.uk[/url] you could get an SCR 2 for £525 (last time I looked anyway)

[/url]
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    If you are going to commute mudguards or at least the clearance to fit them is absolutely essential (might as well get them already fitted)

Triples ? - why not - even if you very rarely use it , on the occasions that you do at least you didn't have to get off and walk.

When you say road bike do you mean with drop handlebars? or would you consider flat bars?
    Do you definitely want a woman's frame? Have you tried sitting on small man's frame bike? (Assuming you are female) some women find the male frame geometry comfortable and some don't.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Alibran
    meagain wrote:
    As you don't mind "last years" (VERY sensible IMHO). have a look at paulscycles web site, especially as you are after the small sizes. This for example looks a good deal

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s6p1110.

Looks like an incredibly good deal. Cheaper than Wiggle. Do they have any finance options, or do you have to pay outright? I couldn't find any information on the site.
  • Alibran
    huggy wrote:
    Have a look on http://www.devercycles.co.uk you could get an SCR 2 for £525 (last time I looked anyway)

It's now down to £419.99, so an incredibly good deal.[/url]
  • Alibran
    feel wrote:
    When you say road bike do you mean with drop handlebars? or would you consider flat bars?
    Do you definitely want a woman's frame? Have you tried sitting on small man's frame bike? (Assuming you are female) some women find the male frame geometry comfortable and some don't.

Yes to the drops. We're right on the coast, and it's pretty windy here most of the year. I want to be able to get low and cut down the wind resistance as much as possible.

I wouldn't have a problem with a small man's frame. I'm actually longer in the torso and shorter in the legs anyway. It's the other components such as the narrower bars and the drops shaped for smaller hands that are more important to me. That's one of the reasons that I thought of the Giant, since the frames are the same, and it's just the other components that are changed. (I'm aware that I could change things on a man's bike, but I don't really want to pay out for a bike, then immediately pay out more to make alterations to it.)
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    You are unlikely to get any Trek bike online since they banned their dealers from selling in that way. Scott too, i think.
  • Alibran
    Thanks for that. I was beginning to think that might be the case.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Belv wrote:
    You are unlikely to get any Trek bike online since they banned their dealers from selling in that way. Scott too, i think.

same for Lemond. Might be worth asking companies if they will swap seats, handlebars for female specific items with no extra cost. Still reckon if you are going to commute (in all weathers) you should think seriously about mudguards, maybe consider an audax bike.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Try www.allterraincycles.co.uk

They do interest free credit up to three years. They do make a delivery charge for Trek's though, but if you live in Yorkshire you co,uld always pop in and collect it.

BTW I've just joined this forum and entered my username slightly wrong when I registered. :oops: Does anyone know how I can change it? It's just one letter different.