New to this, want to get fit, budget £200-£300. Help pleas

sfoley1
sfoley1 Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hello all

Right, mid thirties, haven't done exercise for about 15 years apart from slightly physical job. I usually ride bikes with engines.

I can actually ride a bike so that's a good start.

I want a MTB style of bike, prefer the riding position but road tyres as I don't intend to ride up or down any mountains.

I intend to use the bike regularly, I want to emulate my dad who cycled from Lands End to John O Groats in 10 days when he was 55 and in the process I want to raise a load of money for a charity that looks after my god daughter. I want to to do this before I am 40, not at 55.....

So what should I buy? I like the look of the Giant Escape M2 but is there any need for me to be spending that much?

Your help/advice is appreciated.

Simon

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Hi, and welcome to the forum,

With the requirements mentioned, you'd possibly be better off with a Hybrid bike - you get an "upright" mtb-style position and flat bars, but road bike sized 700c wheels and thinner tyres (typically) (and much more....).

Personally, I'd go for something similar to this:

Claude Butler Levante

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... 4e97915bec

There are lots of hybrids out there, from the "mtb style" ones at one end of the scale (ie the Giant Escape), to the "flat-bar road bike style" ones at the other end (ie the Claude Butler Levante). For road riding and speed, but in a comfy, familiar position, a flat bar road bike type of Hybrid or similar might be ideal.
  • HixX
    HixX Posts: 90
    I have something you might be interested in. send me a PM.
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    The flat barred road bike is a good suggestion, and will be faster than what I am about to suggest. I recommend something along the lines of a trekking hybrid, because they are excellent workhorses. The Dawes Kalahari is a decent one.

Just remember that hybrid covers a multitude of sins. Just don't buy an mtb with wide knobbly tyres.