Why do you ride?

2»

Comments

• Why do I ride?
    I can't remember not having a bike. As a kid it was my means of escape from suburbia.
    I got back into doing it regularly about 18 months ago, I felt I needed to do something else other than Badminton once a week to keep me fit. At this point I realised that though my old MTB (a Raleigh Highlander) was still serviceable I needed something better if I wanted to up the miles. I bought a better bike and my other half bought an even better one, That is why her top speed is still faster than mine.
    Since then it has been the pleasure of knocking off 18 mile loop several times a week. Cycling down to the coast as a family (20 mile round trip), Raising money as a family with a charity run. manging my first 50 mile cycle.
    Pleasure comes from regularly doing something you would not have even thought of doing a few years ago, setting a physical challenge for yourself and beating it.
  • tonywar wrote:
    Does cycling give you tenacity? We've all been there, 20 miles from home, the weather has changed, it's drizzling your riding into a stiff breeze, your knackered. But you can't just give up and catch the bus you still have to continue. Does this determination affect our everyday lives? I like to think so.

Certainly. The amount of times i've been caught over the Moors in shorts and jersey and its started sleeting or something (especially last summer) and just had to dig in and get home.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • It keeps me from going mad, though i feel that i'm mad for pushing myself so hard when i could be getting fat in front of the telly. A catch 22 situation i suppose.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Freedom and speed would probably be my reasons.

Road bike is a great feeling to race through the country side and possibly an even better one to fly through traffic beating every car around you - until a van pulls out and knocks you flying :evil: .

I suppose it's an easy way to get the blood pumping and reduce the stress levels.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    I prefer to think "Why wouldn't I ride?!" :D

Keeps me fit
    Cheap
    Enjoyable and satisfying
    Keeps that tiny bit more oil in the ground for longer.

No mention of CO2 as that is a load of utter rubbish. But the oil will run out one day.
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'