Bumper Exoplorer DuoTrailer

SlowingDown
SlowingDown Posts: 129
Does anyone have experience of the BUMPER EXPLORER DUO trailer? I'm interested in getting one but have seen a suggestion that you cannot use it with just one kid strapped in but have to have two in there. Sounds a bit dubious to me but since there appears to be no web presence for the manufacturer Bumper I'm seeking help here.

Thanks in advance.
===============================
Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
Tricross Sport: FCN 4
Cannondale R600: FCN 3
Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer

Comments

• I'm looking into the same thing :-)

My current assumption is that they are just badly articulating the fact that it *can* take 2 kids rather than saying it can *only* take 2 kids, but it's a shaky one as the straps do not allow a solo child to sit in the middle as Burley's do. I'm not sure how much impact having a toddler sitting off-centre would be given that their weight is never over a wheel, but it is a consideration, especially if it's not a small child that might be on their own.

It's also quite heavy thanks to the steel frame and for another £35 (they're £100 all in on eBay) the Adventure AT3 (£135 from ChainReaction, but the review on this site says the wheels are a bit fiddly) looks like a better budget bet. I am thinking about biting the bullet and buying a Cub from Merlin Cycles though, as it is more protection for the babies as well as probably being more comfortable...

Rambling aside, if anyone has any practical experience I would also like to know! :?
  • hi beardymike - have you seen the trailer test in this month's Mag? sad as it is I decided to go for the Bumper over the Adventure AT3 based on their ratings.

I did get some more info on the Bumper only being usable with 2 kids but I'm still not convinced. What is the difference between having an small 18 month child on their own in there and having the same small child with a large 5 year old? You might have two kids in the second example but there is still a significant weight differential.

Here is what I got from an owner of the Bumper Exoplorer Duo:
    Unlike the other more expensive trailers, this model does not allow you to move the safety buckles. Therefore you cannot seat a single child in the middle of the trailer. Therefore the child will be positioned in one of the side seating positions, this could mean that the is unstable and therefore it might topple over. The instructions with the trailer suggest that it is possible to move the buckles, but the instructions are for a slightly different model.
    All of the information i have read on twin cycle trailers suggest it is best not to carry a single child unless you can position them in the middle of the trailer.

also:
    I dont think it is more prone to tipping than other trailers in terms of its chassis design, as the wheel size and chassis height is comparible to even the most expensive trailers such as burly. However, the fact that there is no provision for a central harness is a limitation. Although i have been assured by many of my friends who have such trailers that the chances of it tipping are almost impossible. I wouldnt want to be the first...
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer
  • cvm
    cvm Posts: 2
    hi
    i was wondering how you are getting on with the bumper explorer?
    i'm looking at getting one, my only reservation being the seating arrangement as i would need to carry 1 child from time to time.
    beardy mike - which trailer did you go for?
    i'm in need of something that doubles as a stroller too - how well does the explorer push?
    thanks in advance for any tips.
    Clare
  • Hey,
    Firstly, Hi, Im a newb!

Weve had a Bumper Explorer Solo for a couple of months now and personally I think its a not bad purchase. However I have to say there are a few niggles. The quick releases can be a bit of a pain and can also rattle, which is really annoying. I'm still not convinced by the universal joint, the spring afair isnt the most elegant of solutions and Im sure there is the possiblithy that it could snap after quite a lot of use (its still got an additional teather though). The harness can be a bit of a pain , if you can, try your kiddy in the trailer before you purchase and make sure its a good fit!

Now a word of caution!

We decided on a solo because quite frankly a double just would not fit down some of the trails we ride. However this makes them inherently more unstable. I took our 3yr old out for a quick blast one night in the trailer with our 7yr old riding beside me. In a moment of, what I can only describe as absent minded loonasey, we were having a giggle and muck about, I turned a corner too fast and the trailer flipped. Thankfully the wee one wasnt seriously injured, a small bump to the head. But Im still kicking myself to this day and I feel sick just thinking about it.

Make sure the wee uns have good quality fitting helmets!!! dont buy tat helmets or barbie inspired rubbish from Toys R Us!

Dont let this story put you off though, Im still convinced trailers are a darn site safer than baby seats or tag alongs due to the fact that they sit so low to the ground. In fact, I had heard that a few bike hire places are stopping doing tag alongs due to the fact that parents can sometimes forget theres a child attached and there have been cases of children being thrown off! :shock:

Anyway, the wee one still likes her trailer (even though its now battle scared) and if youve got young kids, quite frankly its one of the best ways of getting out and enjoying the outdoors as a family!

HTH

Scotty
  • Hi. This is my first post but I thought I'd throw in my experience of the Bumper Explorer Duo for anyone doing a bit of research into buying a trailer.

Like most people I spent hours and hours looking on the net for trailers, watching items on ebay, gumtree, etc, etc. I found that very few local bike shops had any trailers in stock and they were much more expensive than the net.

Previously we have used a Burley trailer at Center Parcs and they are great, apart from the fact they don't fold down very well I think (I'm no expert on Burley's so my apologies to anyone who knows differently??). We also wanted a trailer that can convert easily into a stroller.......

I eventually decided on the Bumper Explorer Duo. My kids at the time of purchasing (1 year ago) were 4 and 1. I've no regrets about buying this trailer and it's been used on a variety of surfaces including a couple of return journeys to Center Parcs, dailly runs to the school and up plenty of forest trails in rural Perthshire. It can fit both kids fairly comfortably, although the oldest one is now finding it a bit of a squeeze (almost 6 now). It's also no problem carrying one child alone in the trailer. I'd say that the straps can be a little fiddly but generally they hold the littlle ones in well.

Attachment to my bike is easy and seems pretty secure. I've not had any problems with it and we also bought a 2nd hitch (£10) for attachment to my wife's bike. It converts easily to a stroller with the front wheel held in a pouch in the rear storage area. The only minor issue when it's used as a stroller is that there is no brake. It folds down easily and the wheels detach. It's probably not the lightest trailer on the market but for the price and with the features it has it's definitely one of the best out there in my opinion.

Hope this helps........