Super Tottenham (from the lane)

Bronzie
Bronzie Posts: 4,927
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
First my apologies as I know football gets enough exposure as it is, but a few observations from yesterday's League Cup Final at Wembley which I was very lucky to get a ticket for:

- I don't go to many matches, but the atmosphere in the stadium was electric. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff. Helped by the fact that we won of course :lol:
- that stadium is amazing - well worth the wait/cost?
- the Spurs fans in general were in fine voice - the ones singing about Eduardo having only one leg should be flayed alive :twisted:
- Robbie Keane wears his heart on his shirt - I've never seen anyone look quite so happy at winning a match - top man.
- Some Premiership footballers are not fit enough to play 30 minutes extra time. Berbatov looked like I do when I get home from one of my Tellytubby rides*
- my voice is a bit croaky today - no idea why :wink:

* - over the hills and far away

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    A guy I work with was apparently in Embassy Club on Saturday night. At 1:30am he saw Lampard, Terry and Sidwell walking into the VIP room. Good to know that they were preparing properly the night before the big final...

A question for the people who were there - did Chimbonda come out and collect his medal. After he walked off down the tunnel when substituted I was looking for him, but didn't see him. I'm assuming he was there, but I just didn't see his face on tv.
  • Bronzie
    squired wrote:
    Good to know that they were preparing properly the night before the big final...
    And I think it showed.........Chelsea (the normal Chelsea that Spurs hadn't beaten for 16 years before last season) didn't turn up yesterday
    squired wrote:
    did Chimbonda come out and collect his medal.
    I think so but don't quote me on that.............my missus is the real Spurs fan and as she'll tell you "I don't know one end of a football from another"

Was a great day out for my father-in-law. Gave him his ticket as an early Birthday present. He played in Spurs' youth team in the sixties and is a lifelong Yid. He got to meet Ricky Villa who was sitting a few rows in front of us which made his day.

Also taking him to see Jimmy Greaves "in concert" on Tuesday which will be nice for him. I shall play along and pretend I know what he's talking about. :wink:
  • Congratulations - it was nice to see somebody different win something.

As an Arsenal fan I'm a bit worried about this fella Ramos being at WHL.

You obviously had a better w/e than we did !!!!

David
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    edited February 2008
    I went too - but was in the Chelsea section (as a neutral - I'm a lifelong Brighton fan). Never have I been in such close quarters with such a bunch of neanderthal thugs. Shouting things like "We are going to ****ing stab you" to the Spurs fans behind up was a particular lowlight. Evolution went backwards for 90 mins (plus extra time). I was very glad when Spurs won (but didn't dare show it!).

I think I'll stick to Twickers (and the mighty (cough) Withdean) from now on...

ETA: I know some Chelsea fans who are perfectly decent blokes. As ever, it's the minority making the majority look bad...
  • Although I am dyed in the wool rugby, I have always followed Tottenham,well done you Spurs. :D:D
    However not able to get a ticket, so went to watch Saracens v's Quins at Vicarage Rd last night instead..... I am thinking of writing to Saracens and asking for my money back, for Fraud and Impersonating a Rugby Team, anyone know Ramos's tel no to pass onto Alan Gaffney!!! :(:(

"Mrs Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?"
  • Well done Spurs. Fantastic achievement made all the better because they beat Chelsea who have some particular nasty supporters. They refer to Spurs as the Yids and my guess is that it may well be a Chelsea supporter who has made death threats to Avram Grant.

The behaviour and attitude of some of the Chelsea players is unpleasant as well. Words like toys and pram spring to mind. Drogba goes down with a suspected broken leg everytime he is tackled and what's all this finger waving about? Also the petulant John Terry and Frank Lampard could learn a bit on how to behave on the pitch from watching the likes of Ledley King whoi is a genuine role model.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Chelsea who have some particular nasty supporters.

Londoners, 'nuff said.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bronzie
    Chelsea who have some particular nasty supporters. They refer to Spurs as the Yids
    To be fair, the Spurs fans call themselves "Yid Army" and I heard it yelled from the moment we left the tube station until we got off the train going home.

There's apalling behaviour from a minority in any group of football "fans" - see my comment above about Spurs "fans" singing about Eduardo only having one leg - sick tossers! The agressive atmosphere that goes hand in hand with any big match (especially a Spurs v Arsenal derby) is one of the reasons I don't go more often. Seems that to be a "true fan" you have to "hate" the opposition. Sad really.
  • Nuggs
    Bronzie wrote:
    Seems that to be a "true fan" you have to "hate" the opposition. Sad really.
    Very true - in juxtaposition to the frequent "Stand up if you hate Tottenham", I thought about beginning a "Stand up if you have a fairly ambivalent attitude to Spurs". But then thought better of it...
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    My Grandparents used to run a pub just around the corner from Stamford Bridge so we've always been Chelsea supporters. The last time I went was a few years ago when I took my young son with me. We sat in what was supposed to be the family section and yet there was some complete twat sitting behind us shouting all sorts of rubbish. My son felt quite intimidated by it all.

What's happened to the policing of these events? When I was about 18 I go kicked out of the Shed for shouting something mildly abusive at the ref :? Now the stands seem to be no go areas for the police.

I've never seen/heard anything like this at a rugby match despite haveing gone to a large number of league an international matches. the atmosphere is entirely different and much friendlier.

Well done Spurs but to be fair Chelsea just didn't turn up on the day. England v France on the other hand :D:D:D
  • I have been to over 70 football grounds but my visit to Stamford Bridge earlier this season was the most depressing ever.

I paid £48 for a ticket (that is over 50p a minute!); the team is a set of petulant aggressive whinging diving morons assembled at obscene expense yet still less than the sum of the parts; the fans appear to be either utter neanderthal throwbacks who think the 80s never ended or horrendous nouveau riche wannabes who seem to think being a Chelsea fan is some sort of fashion statement; the atmosphere was non-existent as Chelsea ground out a 1-0 victory playing boring football, half the stand was empty as the corporate box holders hadn't bothered to turn up due to the less than fashionable opposition.

The whole event summed up everything that is wrong with the premier league.
    <a>road</a>
  • hi nuggs

glad to see another 2 wheeled seagull on here. :D
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Nuggs wrote:
    I went too - but was in the Chelsea section (as a neutral - I'm a lifelong Brighton fan). Never have I been in such close quarters with such a bunch of neanderthal thugs. Shouting things like "We are going to ****ing stab you" to the Spurs fans behind up was a particular lowlight. Evolution went backwards for 90 mins (plus extra time). I was very glad when Spurs won (but didn't dare show it!).

I think I'll stick to Twickers (and the mighty (cough) Withdean) from now on...

ETA: I know some Chelsea fans who are perfectly decent blokes. As ever, it's the minority making the majority look bad...

Stamford Bridge the only ground where they have to put disinfectant on the terraces before the match because of their knuckle dragging fans.

As a true Addick I have a soft spot for the Seagulls - anyone who doesn't like Palace is all right by me.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • used to have the misfortune of having to race there as a school boy every tuesday night
  • Nuggs
    Ricardo H wrote:
    hi nuggs

glad to see another 2 wheeled seagull on here. :D
    :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    A lot of anti Chelsea sentiment on here I notice! I was at the game and go to the Bridge regularly and I always enjoy it, all this "knuckle dragging" stuff is rubbish. Yes there are some morons, but there are at every club. As for the atmosphere, it can be a bit flat at times, but that's what success brings I'm afraid, I have friends who are season ticket holders at the Emirates and it's the same there, and Fergie himself was complaining about the lack ot atmosphere in Old Trafford only this season. I've seem some electric games there (Chelsea 4 Barcelona 2 in 2005 stands out).

As for the Cup Final, well I was there and well done to Spurs, it's nice for them to win something for once, but Chelsea just didn't turn up, if we had then it would have been business as usual I'm sure. Bring back Jose I say, this Grant fella looks like a rabbit in the headlights!