Lands End to John O'Groats

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
hello all
last year i went and helped along my freind on this ride but only did 1 to 2 hour stints with him along the way he completed it in 5 days.
i am attempting it this summer was just wondering if anyone has done it what type of training did you do for it training rides jogging how long/distance was you riding in your preperation all help needed i am somewhat nervous to say the least i am aiming to complete it in 5-6 days my freind is doing it again with me.
i have been going on my taxx trainer in the garage over the winter but it bores me to tears so cannot spend any length of time on it will start to do some decent weekend rides now.
all comments welcome
cheers

Comments

• Best of luck!!

I did the end to end including the 4 points summer of '99, totalling just short of 1500miles. I did it solo on my old Dawes tourer and carried the tent and everything else needed to camp and survive for 2 weeks.

My training
    I used to commute 7 miles each way every day, so I increased my mileage first off. Increasing to 10, then 12, 15. Eventually I was doing about 80-90mins, taking in a couple of small hills on the way. I realised I couldn't keep increasing the mileage so I started to pack some dumbell weights in my panniers. I then increased my mileage back up from 7 with weights to the 80-90mins with weights.

Of course that was ll back in the day before I knew about proper training. :lol:

I've since found that getting at least 1 long steady distance ride in at the weekend, and 2 power training sessions(on tacx) has given me easier distance rides at an increased speed. My power sessions currently are 2x20s, increasing by 10watts each session.

I make sure that I only train 3 weeks on and 1 week off.
  • volvine
    cheers for that what is your weekly distance ride how difficult and how long are you out for?
    thanks
    vol
  • Well back in the day, my total weekly mileage crept up from 90miles to 200miles. Don't forget I was carrying some weights in my panniers as well. I think I was carrying 10kg, 5kg weight in each pannier.

In them days as well, my big rides were only about 75-80miles! I'm fitter now that I'm 40 than I was when I was in my early 30s, cos 75-80 isn't a lot. I didn't know a lot of training stuff, nutrition both on and off the bike and didn't have much money anyway for gels and bars and energy drinks. I used to carry just water on my training rides!

I got fitter as the trip went on. My planned daily mileage during the trip was only about 75-85miles. Halfway thro the trip I did several days over 85miles, 2 over 100miles, one of which was 115miles(a record for me at that time).

If I was gonna do it these days as you are in 5-6 days, I guess that's about 100mile per day, then I'd be doing the same training I am now, build my big weekend ride up to 100 miles, keep up my 2 power sessions per week, throw in 2x2hr rides during the week and have 1hr ride of fast pedal. I'd make sure I train 3weeks on and 1 week off.
  • i did it oct/nov 06 (the idiots way i've since discovered!) i just did daily 10 mile ish rides with a couple of hills thrown in and cycled to and/or from work (34miles each way) few times a week for about 3 months before the ride. fitness wise i was fine until last couple of days but it had been really windy,mostly in my face with the way i was going! make sure your set up is perfect cos i got some really bad knee pain from half way due to not being set up right. i would definately save scotland til the end its beautiful up north! did the odd 80mile steady ride too
  • Yeah I would second that sentiment! Make sure the bike is setup correctly.

I had 2 major problems; saddle sore, partly not enough 'continuous' hrs in the saddle and partly wrong saddle.

The other major problem I had was a constant ache and muscle tightness across my shoulders. If I'd have spent enough 'continuous' time in the saddle I think I'd have spotted this as well. The constant small daily commuting was fine for keeping fitness, but make sure the bike fits you otherwise it's painful and spoils the adventure.

Scotland is by far the best looking countryside around. Coming into Glen Coe was gob smacking.
  • volvine
    yes my freind also did it the idiots way last year with strong headwind it wasn't pleasent.
    so we are doing it south to north this time simply so he can claim to have done it both ways.
    my biggest problem is time so my main riding can only be done at the weekend so the 2x2 hour rides in between will prove very difficult for me i will start cycling to work the long way round probably 20 miles round trip.
    turbo trainer during the week but i have started jogging which i know will speed up my fitness better and quicker than the bike which can only help.
    but i also want to enjoy the trip this year as last year was unpleasent to say the least.
    i have just purchased a cheap £30 bianchi todayto throw on the trainer which will free up my normal bike for my road rides.
  • volvine
    p.s how do i know my bike is set up correct take it to my lbs?
  • Here's 2 sites for setup;

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-quick-fit-fitter-883
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/cycling/bikesetup.htm

The jury is out on the benefits of running for cyclists, but the generally accepted way is to do the running over winter when you can't get out on your bike cos of weather. I read somewhere that too much running is bad for cyclists, something to do with the muscles being used, the stretching of the tendons and the forces on the knee.

So it looks like you need to increase your power during the week on the turbo and make sure you get a big ride in at the weekends. Doing your extra mileage to work will also help. Because it's relatively small distance 10m each way, try and make sure that they count. I used to ride them at tempo and you definitely benefit. Just make sure not to do too much commute training and turbo during the week. On a turbo day, don't push on your commute, just take it at a level 2 ride. and make sure you have at least 1 day per week. Your choice whether it's an easy recovery ride or just don't go on the bike.
  • volvine
    cheers for that mate sounds like solid advise i thank you
  • Oh Oh I spotted a mistake... I meant take at least 1 day OFF per week. If only my fingers worked as good as my legs :)

Pop back and tell us how the training is going and eventually how the ride went.

Enjoy yourself.
  • the only good thing about doing it the idiot's way is the fact you can tell people you REALLY earned the sponsorship! :lol:
  • volvine
    i think anyone that rides that distance has earned there bread lol
    we made £3000 for cancer research so was nice.
  • I've never heard of it called the "idiot's way" until this thread. I've always heard of it as the "hard way".
  • neither did i til i read the recent c+ on charity rides! made me laugh i must admit. good for shifting a few lbs too! personally lost almost a stone and there wasn't really much excess to start with! good excuse for eating as much chocolate etc as possible