size and fitting

dcab
dcab Posts: 255
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
i'm looking to buy a road bike and have been sounding out different dealers! apart from which bike to buy i have been getting conflicting info on fitting.?
one dealer went over the buisness of using a jig and another today told me it was'nt needed and he could sort me out from years of experience. i have a budget of £2500 and want to get it right????
veritas vos liberabit

Comments

• z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    in my experience it takes years to find your own "perfect fit" lbs salesmen say anything to get a sale, and see how many peeps come on here saying they think they bought the wrong size, you really need to try a few different sizes for yourself.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    dcab wrote:
    i have a budget of £2500 and want to get it right????

I would think you want test rides from local shops when you have narrowed the choice a bit. There is no point saving £200 by buying on the internet but ending up with the wrong bike.

Are you new to riding? If so remember you will need to keep a few hundred back for accessories and clothing.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    if I was spending £2500 I would make sure that I got professionally measured (Position Analysis) by someone like Dave Lloyd or similar.. When my folks got their bikes built a few months back they went and saw him first and he organised dimensions etc and then send geometry etc to terry dolan.

If your stuck, give him a call and I am sure he will have some ideas..
    cartoon.jpg
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    *disclaimer - I am a bike fitter....

I'd say with that amount of dosh that you're dropping on a potentially rapidly depreciating asset, a fitting is a really good idea.....

Option 1- get a fit and buy on the advice, or option 2 go to a good bike shop at a time of day when they can spend a good amount of time with you (possibly book time with someone you like/get on with at your lbs/ is a bit understanding of your sort of riding) and work with them.
    Good luck,
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • I got measured by Paul Hewitt at Hewitt cycles and haven't had to adjust a thing. I can't remember being so comfortable on a bike. I have racing mates who have been measured by the guys at AW Cycles near Reading who say the same thing. Get measured by someone who knows what they are doing you wont regret it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Mike59
    Mike59 Posts: 1,170
    I have just bought a bike from Enigma. I spoke to Mark there, and gave him some of my basic body dimensions, and he emailed me with a full frame design sketch within hours.

The bike fits me perfectly.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/main.htm

Mike.