Noob buying a Merida Am500

XTR213E
XTR213E Posts: 2
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/ ... id/5981673

I have just seen this bike in Outdoor world in wigan for £399 on sale due to a slight scratch on the chasis and the guy there gave it great reviews i had a ride round the shop on it and felt comfotable riding it.

Does anyone here have this bike and are the specs good enough for XC and riding round the trails in the lake district

The shop assistant mentioned it may be a little heavy for XC but i dont mind itll get me fitter for if i get a lighter and higher spec bike in the future :lol:

He also said i should save up and replace the front forks any advice on what i should replace them with would be great

Thanks in advance for any replys
XTR213E

Bike specs

Frame
AM TFS-Disc with SR Suntour EPICON LOD

Forks
Rock Shox DART 3 120mm

Rear Derailleur
Shimano XT Shadow

Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore

Shifters
Shimano Deore Rapidfire 27sp

Chainset
Shimano M442 octa 44-32-22

Bottom Bracket
Shimano ES25 Octalink

Chain
Shimano CN-HG53

Freewheel
Shimano HG50-9 11-34

Headset
M10

Stem
XM Comp OS CEN 7

Handlebars
XM Comp CEN 31.8 Rise 620

Front Brake
Shimano M485 hydraulic 180mm

Rear Brake
Shimano M485 hydraulic 180mm

Brake Levers
Shimano Deore

Rims
Alex DP17 disc Black

Front Hub
Shimano M495 centerlock

Rear Hub
Shimano M495 centerlock

Spokes
Stainless steel

Tyres
Merida Trail 2.25mm

Saddle
XM-6790S

Seatpost
XM Speed SB20 31.6mm

Pedals
XC Alloy

Nett Weight
14.60Kg

Miscellaneous
X-Mission finishing kit

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    If you're happy with it, then for that price, go for it! With regards to forks, it really depends on how much you are prepared tp spend.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    For a bike like that somethign like Rochshox Pikes or maybe a Marzocchi 55ATA, but they're proper expensive.

Buy it first, for the money thats ace :!: and see how you get on with it, you may see no need at all to replace anything.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lots of great parts for the money, but heavy for purely XC. You would get a lighter hardtail for that money.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    supersonic wrote:
    Lots of great parts for the money, but heavy for purely XC. You would get a lighter hardtail for that money.

Indeed a Hardtail would be better at that price point,not that im biased but look at the 2007 Carrera Fury in Halfords for £400 at the moment.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Don't put Pikes or 55s on that bike, the geometry is set up for a 100mm travel fork.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Don't put Pikes or 55s on that bike, the geometry is set up for a 100mm travel fork.

Oooops my bad :oops:
  • Well i got it the other day and im very happy with it the lock out feature is great for road riding :D

the only prob ive got now is the back shock is a little soft and they did not have a manual with the bike as it was a display model

i have got a shock pump but dont know what to pump it to do i just pump it till im happy with how it feels or is there a set preasure??

Big thanks for the replys
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    pump it up until it sags 25% of the shaft travel. Take it from there. 150psi an average starting point.
  • rillyroy
    rillyroy Posts: 69
    I bought a Merida AM500D in December for £600, it's spec wasn't as good as yours and the darts were too short and too "dead".
    I wanted a freerider having ridden cross country aggressively for years and then DH on a Giant ATX DH I wanted something in between the two as I'm not going to set any records at 40! I got rid of the forks without even riding them and replaced them with Marzocchi All Mountain 3's 130mm air sprung with rebound adjustment, these raised the front and gave the bike great high speed handling. I replaced the shock with a Romic D which was much better tham the Suntour air shock and keeps the back end planted whilst improving pedal efficiency and grip on steep technical climbs. Some wide Easton Monkey bars (685mm) with a low (35mm) rise coupled with an 80mm 0degree stem further enhanced the freeride ability without compromising the mountain goat-like climbing capabilities.
    I now have 2 sets of wheels (light XC & Strong DH) and run 2.35 Maxxis High Roller tyres which are excellent all rounders.
    There is enough space to fit a 200mm shock with 57mm travel in place of the 190mm/50mm one which would correct any frame angle issues you might have and give extra travel to boot!
    (not that the angles get too slack anyway)

You got an absolute bargain mate, just watch the cable routing for the rear mech - it runs under the bottom bracket and tends to saw through the bottom bracket shell. I moved mine along the top tube follwing the brake hose and this sorted the problem.
  • rillyroy
    rillyroy Posts: 69
    P.S. I run 33% Sag and the propedal/spv thingy sorts out bob (whoever he is)
  • grazo22
    grazo22 Posts: 50
    BlackSpur wrote:

No it's not. I contacted merida before I changed forks and they said it is built for forks upto 140mm which I have now installed. Zocchi 55r's. Make it soooooo much better to ride. Also got manitou swinger x3 rear shock, transition rims, NS bikes hubs, hope 25 deg 50mm stem, titec elnorte prolite bars 2.25" rise, DMR v8 pedals and Fsa bash guard.

Makes for a wonderful bike which is capable of most types of riding.
    I wish I could afford the hope factory :(