tires on turbo

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I have a old elite turbo trainer. Will this damage my tires and wheels?

Comments

• As far as I'm aware it won't damage you wheels, but will wear your rear tyre quite quickly. You can buy a special tyre (continental I think) for using on a turbo, but you can't use them on the road.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    I have the Conti turbo tyre, had it on for about half a dozen sessions, going to change it back to an old tyre, the bike, turbo, floor and washing hanging next to it were covered with orange bits broken off the tyre, couldn't believe how much has came off

Use it on a Tacx Sirrius trainer, have been doing some heavy intervals with the TT on the maximum setting, but wouldn't expect this, considering sending it back to Wiggle where I bought it to see if I'm entitled to a refund

Going to take an age to clean me bike, thought one advantage of a turbo was that you don't get your bike mucky!! :x

Did make it a bit quieter, just have to apologise to the neighbours now!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    When I ordered my turbo I also ordered the Conti Home Trainer tyre as it came recommended for noise reduction and improved wear.

Mine has been fine. I do get a small collection of tyre material at the base of the trainer but nothing like what Ashley has described.

I did read on a forum somewhere - possibly here - of someone who used a black tyre on their turbo and after his session discovered a black mark running all the way up his back.
    Haven't tried a conventional road tyre yet myself but I can imagine it destroying something like a GP4000S.

I've just been doing a bit of shopping on Ribble and have ordered a Tacx T1390 Trainer tyre so I'll see how that compares Conti's version.
  • I use standard road tyres, ok they dont last as long as they do outdoors, but they dont shred as far as I can tell.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I just use old tyres I've taken off the bike as too worn to use on the road.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Me too. No point buying a special tyre imo. Ask mates if they have any battered old tyres lying around.
  • Depends on the tyre and how hard you wind the roller against it. Our club has a turbo session here every week and most people are on road tyres. The tyres with a soft centre compound like Vittoria tend to strip, the Contis and Schwalbe are holding up well. Not used the Conti trainer tyre but the TACX ones seem to go OK.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed