Gutted with the weather

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
GRRRRR - 28mph Wind yesterday but went out and did 64 miles in 2h.40m. Was just getting ready to go out this morning and looked out the window and the sky was black with heavy clouds.. looking like it might blow over (wishfull thinking) the damn rain started pissing down big time.. that means no ride... maybe if I tell myself that the sun will come out in a few hours and dry up the rain I will feel better..

If it doesnt then it looks like I might be re-painting the door frames and doors to keep myself from cleaning my bike...... again!

anyone else have the weather blues?
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• Windy in Aberdeen, too. Went out the other day on an out-and-back route. Back took almost twice as long despite being downhill overall! And according to the forecast the wind doesn't look set to die down for a while. :(

Its probably for the best though as it reduces my temptation to go riding instead of finishing (or even just starting) the project that I've got due in for tomorrow...
  • Not quite sure you averaged 24mph in 28 mph of wind for 64miles, through the wirral with allits junctions on a Saturday, unless it was 64 km's :shock: .
  • Doobz
    not sure actually.. lol - maybe the bike computer is in km/h :oops:
    cartoon.jpg
  • I want the name of your doctor,and , can i borrow your legs for the summer if it was in miles !
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I wondered that as well. That's elite time-trial speed and it pretty hard to ride on the Wirral without being held up by traffic.
  • Doobz
    argh. am well gutted now.. just checked the computer and it is in km/h - there I was thinking I did pretty well on the distance and speed.. ohh well maybe thats something to aim for.. bummer.. Gonna change it to mph now

so it looks like I did 40miles at 17mph.. is that any good?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I hate the wind (of the cross and head variety) with a passion. I haven't been out since Tuesday now! :oops:

Just had a look at the Met Office five day forecast and its not good viewing.
    Its looking like this afternoon I'll be swapping the rear wheel out and spending the next few days on the turbo. :(
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I'd be happy with that on a windy february day. I'd be happier doing 64 miles at 24mph though! :lol:
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    17mph in a 28mph wind speed is pretty good, in fact I'd say you were spot on. :)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Was windy - looked like you got the rain in the Wirral before we got it in Manchester - just done 90 minutes, and it started chucking it down half way through....
  • Gorgeous start to the day up in Tynemouth. So water bottle filled, outfit on bed, flap jacks ready and bike gleaming from a thorough clean, I head to the door and it's pissing down :x
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    fossyant wrote:
    Was windy - looked like you got the rain in the Wirral before we got it in Manchester - just done 90 minutes, and it started chucking it down half way through....

That's odd. When I was in Manchester last evening it was warm and dry with not a breath of wind and, moreover, the cycling was fantastic. Must have been because we were in the velodrome :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am totally sick of this winter. Hardly had a day with no rain since November up here in not so sunny Scotland. And the days there have been no rain there has been frost and when it thaws the roads are just as wet but worse as they are loaded with salt.

To make matters worse I had a problem with a rear derialer snapping and sticking in my wheel and smashing my carbon seat stays on my winter hack bike. Now I am on one of my better bikes and I have had to clean it about 20 times since.

Just got out the door today to meet up with my mate and the heavens opened up. Normally if we are out well then you just got to get on with it - but I will not set out in the pouring rain unless I really have to. Thats my rant for this month. Hopefully I will get out 2moro but alas rain is the forecast.
    Brian B.
  • Doobz
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    That's odd. When I was in Manchester last evening it was warm and dry with not a breath of wind and, moreover, the cycling was fantastic. Must have been because we were in the velodrome :)
    Geoff

LOL @ Geoff - I think I am going to go and watch some cycling there some time - probably be a cool evening for the kids also..

So the day progressed and to make it worse the roads dried up a whole load and I went and got dressed into my gear.. I walked up staris to get my bike and as I was about to come down my 2 year old daughter was staring up at me from the bottom of the stairs with her big blue eyes and sad face as if to say she didnt want me to go. I asked if she wanted me to go and she replied "No Daddy" - So after I got changed back into my messy painting and gardening clothes I chucked her wellies on her feet and a coat and took her out into the garden and messed arround in the garden looking for earthworms and making a right mess of ourselves..
    cartoon.jpg
  • weather is something that happens to other people. Makes no difference to me how good or bad the weather is. If the scales say ride - then I ride.

Gats
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    weather is something that happens to other people. Makes no difference to me how good or bad the weather is. If the scales say ride - then I ride.

Gats
    Riding when the scales tell you to doesn't seem like a particularly healthy way to look at your riding Gats.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Gat's is a little obsessed by his weight -

I ride every day, all weathers - commuting. Wasn't too bad today, just make sure you clean the salt off the bike after.....
  • the scales always say "ride fat boy ride" especialliy today - was 10stone 7 yesterday morning on a rest day then went out for dinner and this morning 11stone 2 - how the hell is that fair after a week of eating nothing but a banana and 2 weetabix and an evening meal a day....a little is an understatement I think!

But I digress...

But yeah because I commute during the week bad weather on the weekend still means I have to go out.

Gats
  • Never mind the weather Doobz - you give me the blues.

Went out on Fri afternoon intending to do about an hour (I have not been on my bike for a while) but wimped out & only did 7.5 miles AND it took me 35 mins!

Did not like the way I was being blown around by the wind! Weather has not improved over the w/e & it rained this afternoon, so no more riding for me.

:(
    Ride On ...
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Well it is freezing here today, starting up a riding plan tomorrow and I just know my face will have icicles on it after the morning ride before work.
    Oh well, hopefully keeping away from the rain at the moment.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    the scales always say "ride fat boy ride" especialliy today - was 10stone 7 yesterday morning on a rest day then went out for dinner and this morning 11stone 2 - how the hell is that fair after a week of eating nothing but a banana and 2 weetabix and an evening meal a day....a little is an understatement I think!

But I digress...

But yeah because I commute during the week bad weather on the weekend still means I have to go out.

Gats

You seem to have some sort of eating disorder and compulsive exercising. I think you really to get some help.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Went out on Sunday and it was ruddy awful weather. When I was getting ready it all looked very promising and so selected #2 bike without mudguards, clambered into my gear and off I went. After about 30 minutes it started to rain and then it never stopped. Feet were soaked, legs were soaked, gloves were ringing wet, lots of road dirt up my back in a big stripe, once-gleaming bike was a mess... :cry:

Tonight is going to see some serious cleaning and re-lubing of the bike :D

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!