front derailleur spring gone?

tom_j
tom_j Posts: 66
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
my front derailleur is not shifting. i have tried adjust cable tension etc but it seems like the spring is not working. when i have tension in the cable when in the big ring and then shift to middle or little ring, the cable goes completely slack (i.e. drooping down) i can push the derailleur side to side with my hands and it just stays in the position i leave it.

i will probably take it to the shop but wondered if i can fix it myself? i'm not sure what the problem is though and how to fix it. any ideas?

i have read park tools and sheldon browns pages but they assume that the system is in working order and how to tweak it but i think something may have broke?

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Almost certainly not relevant but I had this happen over Christmas when I was out riding, a small stone got stuck in the mech and wouldn't let it return to the smallest sprocket, how the hell it happened I don't know but there were witnesses. As I said almost 100% not your problem, just thought I'd share.TBH if you can't see what's obviously wrong (and it sounds like you've had a good fiddle) you're probably better off with a new mech, CRC are doing conventional pull LX mechs for £14 at the moment.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6074
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • tom_j
    tom_j Posts: 66
    are they pretty easy to fit?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the pivots have siezed. Give it a good bath in degreaser, work the mech with your hands to get the stuff in, rinse dry and oil.