I need a road touring bike any suggestions?

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
What I'd like is: Mudguards, straight handlebars, chainguard and at least six gears. I've trolled the net and all I seem to come up with are hybrids and mountain bikes with knobberly tyres. Thanks.

RD
Old bikes are better

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well there is the Cannondale. Won't be cheap though, and a lot to pay for the chainguard. There are many more choices without that specification, so maybe a chainguard could be retro fitted, if you can find one.

What use do you hope to put your bike to? How long would you ride? What sort of terrain? Multi-day tours?
  • Something like this http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5263

Most, so caled, hybrids have straight bars, mudguard eyes and clearances, rear rack mounting points, a minimum of 8 gears (generally 24 or 27), load bearing wheels and .... tyres that can be changed.

No need for a MTB with knobblies.
    No need for suspension.

Visit a few shops. Try Evans Cycles (loads of branches). Not suggesting that Evans are good to deal with but they usually have good displays and wide choices.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3400

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3401

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=4155

The Dawes Galaxy range have been firm touring favourites for 25 years or so; used by many long distance riders, including round the world.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3110

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3109&page=1

See what's available. Think what you want to do with the bike. Day touring? Credit card touring? Fully kitted camping touring? UK only? Europe? World?

Then find a good shop, discuss with them, buy it.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Have a look at the condor strada in the touring audax section HERE

not the cheapest, prices vary from £699 upwards, but you get what you pay for.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • alfablue wrote:
    Well there is the Cannondale. Won't be cheap though, and a lot to pay for the chainguard. There are many more choices without that specification, so maybe a chainguard could be retro fitted, if you can find one.

What use do you hope to put your bike to? How long would you ride? What sort of terrain? Multi-day tours?

That's not bad Alf. I'm cycling to Montpellier in July and doing the LEJOG after that ( I hope). I'm quite happy with the old seventies bike I've got now except that it has only five gears and wont take more, the bit that hangs down on the shifter isnt long enough to accommodate another larger cog, shame but there you are. So it looks like I need a new bike. Thanks

Roger
    Old bikes are better
  • Something like this http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5263

Most, so caled, hybrids have straight bars, mudguard eyes and clearances, rear rack mounting points, a minimum of 8 gears (generally 24 or 27), load bearing wheels and .... tyres that can be changed.

No need for a MTB with knobblies.
    No need for suspension.

Visit a few shops. Try Evans Cycles (loads of branches). Not suggesting that Evans are good to deal with but they usually have good displays and wide choices.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3400

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3401

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=4155

The Dawes Galaxy range have been firm touring favourites for 25 years or so; used by many long distance riders, including round the world.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3110

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3109&page=1

See what's available. Think what you want to do with the bike. Day touring? Credit card touring? Fully kitted camping touring? UK only? Europe? World?

Then find a good shop, discuss with them, buy it.

Thanks John. Some choices there.
    Old bikes are better
  • alfablue
    I think if I was looking at a proper flat bar tourer to last me for years I would look at the Thorn Sherpa, it is available with flat bars and many customisation options, and has lowrider fork bosses. Doesn't include a chainguard unfortunately but it might be something Thorn (SJS Cycles) can fit.

Other than this I would go for a Dawes Galaxy Super or Ultra, or a Condor Heritage. Both are drop bars but Spa Cycles (for the Galaxy) and Condor for the Heritage, can probably change it to flat bars.

Other than that, maybe a Hewitt (they are renowned for doing good bike fittings), which should also be customisable.

All of these have good comfy long lasting steel frames, and are all highly rated as tourers.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "except that it has only five gears and wont take more"

While a new(er) bike is usually the best vfm, unless a hub gear (and it sounds otherwise), I can't easily imagine any set up that cannot be increased from '5', either by way of more sprockets or more rings. What it is it?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • alfablue
    it might need a new hub to take a wider cassette (and wheelbuild, probably also mech and shifters), still doable for £120-£150 I guess.
  • meagain wrote:
    "except that it has only five gears and wont take more"

While a new(er) bike is usually the best vfm, unless a hub gear (and it sounds otherwise), I can't easily imagine any set up that cannot be increased from '5', either by way of more sprockets or more rings. What it is it?

With modern shifters that's probably true. The problem with my old Simplex is the vertical distance between the top jockey wheel and the largest cog. With a six speed fitted, I tried, there isnt enough room for the chain to run between the two. Hope that makes sense.
    Old bikes are better
  • alfablue
    A rear mech could be had for maybe £30.
  • Thanks Alf. I like the Thorn. Not cheap though is it. How do you know what the wheel base is for bikes? ie the distance between the front and rear spindles? Doesnt mention it in the spec. Go and look I guess.

Cheers
    Roger
    Old bikes are better
  • alfablue wrote:
    A rear mech could be had for maybe £30.

Will they fit old bikes though?
    Old bikes are better
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I think the starting point has to be how much do you want to spend?

New(er) mechs (and most other drive components) on old frames depends on what the frame IS. I'm assuming no integral rear mech hanger, but can buy bolt-in ones. Is it currently a single or double ring? Again I assume a single, yet you don't seem to be factoring in possibility of a double.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • alfablue
    Thanks Alf. I like the Thorn. Not cheap though is it. How do you know what the wheel base is for bikes? ie the distance between the front and rear spindles? Doesnt mention it in the spec. Go and look I guess.

Cheers
    Roger

Hi Roger, it isn't too bad, £800 for a bike that may last 20 years. I think all the geometry (so wheelbase) will be on the web site. Why is wheelbase of interest?
  • alfablue
    For a much cheaper, though competent tourer, how about the Edinburgh Cycle Co-op Revolution Country Traveller. It has drop bars though they may well switch them for you. It has an Alu frame (I would prefer steel, but that is a luxury that costs a bit more), £400. Or a Dawes Karakum, similar but has flats, £440.
  • alfablue wrote:
    Thanks Alf. I like the Thorn. Not cheap though is it. How do you know what the wheel base is for bikes? ie the distance between the front and rear spindles? Doesnt mention it in the spec. Go and look I guess.

Cheers
    Roger

Hi Roger, it isn't too bad, £800 for a bike that may last 20 years. I think all the geometry (so wheelbase) will be on the web site. Why is wheelbase of interest?

I did look without finding it. I think the longer, within reason, the wheelbase is the steadier it is. On the few modern bikes I've tried, maybe it's me, but they seemed to wobble a lot. I guess £800 isnt bad compared to what they are asking nowadays. On my last ride I met a bloke who'd paid £3,000 for his. It was incredibly light though when I picked it up I thought I hadnt got hold of it!
    Old bikes are better
  • meagain wrote:
    I think the starting point has to be how much do you want to spend?

New(er) mechs (and most other drive components) on old frames depends on what the frame IS. I'm assuming no integral rear mech hanger, but can buy bolt-in ones. Is it currently a single or double ring? Again I assume a single, yet you don't seem to be factoring in possibility of a double.

Have to admit Me I dont know what you mean by single or double. I have a seventies Peugeot tourer frame with a five speed Simplex gear that bolts onto the frame around the rear spindle. No front shifter.
    Old bikes are better
  • alfablue wrote:
    For a much cheaper, though competent tourer, how about the Edinburgh Cycle Co-op Revolution Country Traveller. It has drop bars though they may well switch them for you. It has an Alu frame (I would prefer steel, but that is a luxury that costs a bit more), £400. Or a Dawes Karakum, similar but has flats, £440.

Cheers for all the links Alf. I'm going to look at the Thorn next week sometime.
    Old bikes are better
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    meagain wrote:
    I Again I assume a single, yet you don't seem to be factoring in possibility of a double.

Have to admit Me I dont know what you mean by single or double. I have a seventies Peugeot tourer frame with a five speed Simplex gear that bolts onto the frame around the rear spindle. No front shifter.

Single , double (or triple) refers to the number of front chain rings you have Roger. Triples help people like me get up the steep hills :oops:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I suggest you look at the Marin range.

My wife has a San Anselmo which is very light and has a wide range of gears. I've fitted mudguards and a rear carrier. She's ridden over 8000 miles in the 3 years she's owned it and done quite a few 200k audaxes on it - not bad for an OAP :)

They don't have chain guards, but very few bikes do. I've never found a need for one, personally. I think some models may have a chain protector ring on the chain set.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Geoff_SS wrote:
    I suggest you look at the Marin range.

My wife has a San Anselmo which is very light and has a wide range of gears. I've fitted mudguards and a rear carrier. She's ridden over 8000 miles in the 3 years she's owned it and done quite a few 200k audaxes on it - not bad for an OAP :)

They don't have chain guards, but very few bikes do. I've never found a need for one, personally. I think some models may have a chain protector ring on the chain set.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I will. I'm also amazed at your wife's achievements. I'm an OAP now as well. If I can do as well as her I'd be a very happy man.
    Old bikes are better
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Just checked the current Marin web site and it seems the San Anselmo is now much different from the one my wife has. It now seems to be a single speed bike whereas hers has a triple chain set and a 9 speed cassette.

They're nice bikes though and most bike shops will make minor alterations to the standard spec to suit a customers needs.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I know you did not like the hybrids you saw on the web, but I have found my Dawes Kalahari to be a nice touring bike for the money. I'd rather have a Galaxy though; they are much nippier :)