The Culture Show - BBC2 Sat 1910

pedylan
pedylan Posts: 768
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
"Arts and culture magazine with Lauren Laverne. On the eve of the Oscars, Mark Kermode announces who he thinks deserves the awards. Cycle couriers have the highest insurance rates in the UK: is it because of their secret drag races?"

A report on the "sub culture" of cycle couriers tonight on BBC2.

Should offer an interesting viewpoint from Laverne and co. At least it's not a Top Gear production so it might actually contain balance and intelligence.
Where the neon madmen climb

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If I remember will try and cap this.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • It's worth watching just for Lauren Laverne .
    I'll be at a tellyless household tonight so will miss this . Cycle couriers ? well , they've got a job to do .

"Should offer an interesting viewpoint from Laverne and co. At least it's not a Top Gear production so it might actually contain balance and intelligence.
    "

:D:D:D
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    Will watch with interest.......probably turn out to be Buffalo Bill telling it how it was a decade ago; (sorry Bill, no offence intended - I think yer a totally decent bloke, but I've always had grave doubts about the gloss and 'glamour' which is routinely given out to the media concerning an industry which routinely exploits the EMPLOYEES. If in doubt, check out Cat Weasels legal fight with City Sprint. Hope he wins. The rest of us might get some recognition in employment law that way. At last.
    .....anyway, I ride on with hope.)
    If the show is featuring Alley Cat racing however, expect to meet some of the lovliest people on the planet (and please forgive any macho posturers as MUPPETS!)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Given YouTube's attitude towards posting programs on their site I've hosted the clip elsewhere, just click on the link and download the clip. You may need an Xvid codec to play the video, depending on the media player you prefer.

http://rapidshare.com/files/94354447/cyclecouriers.AVI
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I watch the culture show most weeks so was initially pleased when I heard this was to be broadcast as I thought it would be a good sounding board for cycling and would reach a wide specrtum of people. Unfortunately I felt the peice it was a complete waste of an oportunity :cry:

What could have been five minutes showing;

What messengers actually do and how far they ride in a day
    What types of bikes they ride
    Common dangers they, and other cyclists, face
    And a chance to dispell some myths, particually about how were all 'freeloaders' because we don't pay road tax etc

Was in fact a very hard to follow, in my opinion, look into what they get up to outside of work. I think they were maybe doing some sort of alleycat type race but if you were not into cycling i'm not sure you would have got that. Oh and they drank beer a lot.

Bit of a shame really.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • It didn't really say anything did it?
    Editor, Cycling Plus.
    Stop me and buy one at www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    No, was a waste of air time in the end. Some people (who apparently were cycle couriers) had a couple of races, and drank a few beers, the end.