Women's MTB - Botle cages?

Paulq
Paulq Posts: 58
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Just bought a new MTB (women's frame) for my other half and noticed that the lugs normally associated for fitting bottle cages are located on the underside of the downtube. Having not had one of these before (so apologies for the dumb question) am not sure whether this indeed is the right place to fit a cage or whether the lugs are just intended for a pump to be fitted?

If it's the latter where do you normally fit bottles on bikes like this?

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• Paulq wrote:
    Just bought a new MTB (women's frame) for my other half and noticed that the lugs normally associated for fitting bottle cages are located on the underside of the downtube. Having not had one of these before (so apologies for the dumb question) am not sure whether this indeed is the right place to fit a cage or whether the lugs are just intended for a pump to be fitted?

If it's the latter where do you normally fit bottles on bikes like this?

Cheers

Paul

Don't think it'll be for a water bottle cage

Pump or mudguards probably
  • Think most people find that bottles fall out & get lost or just get so covered in mud (and worse) that they are horrible to drink from.

Camelbak or similar makes fluids easier to access with less contamination from trails - and can also hold extra layer of clothing & spares.
  • thornnzfy4.jpg

Alot of bikes that don't have space in the main triangle have them mounted there. Can't say I like the idea of storing a bottle down there myself.
  • ^ ^ ^

doesn't look like that bike's about to do any 8' drop offs or trials though.

And in that pic, that bottle looks like it's there to fill the others rather than drink from itse;f.

guess it makes sense on a touring bike and some xc, just not dh or trials
    Train hard, ride easy
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    it'll be intended for pump / mudguard,

as someone said, over rough ground it's gonna get shaken out and fall off

camelbaks are'nt that expencive anymore and work well for carrying tools etc that you might need.
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday