Tubeless Worth it??

deadpool2e
deadpool2e Posts: 625
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have now got tubeless ready wheels. Is it really worth the hassle going for tubeless tyres with all the sealant and stuff, as I rarely get punctures (famous last words)??

Any good stories or bad ones about tubeless
http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.

Comments

• I use Stans Olympic rims (Non UST) with the stans tubeless kit and there sealant and have a Pair of Conti Speed Kings on at the moment.

I have had 5 punctures on the forest last week Due to the forestry cutting back and shreading Gorse bushes for the forest ponies etc on my commute home from work which all sealed up fine ( all you can tell is a little Pisssssst as the sealant goes to work )
    and they where at night so i can heartily recomend going tubeless.

however just spend a little time on the initial sealing of the rim to the tyre.
    Jim Speed rides this pimped out SCOTT

img0496sn5.th.jpg
  • OK thanks for that, but is it a pain in the Arse when it comes to changing tyres?
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • deadpool2e wrote:
    OK thanks for that, but is it a pain in the ars* when it comes to changing tyres?

No worries with changing tyres its fine but dont get the sealant on your clothes as it will leave odd marks!!!!!! so its best done outside.... not on the sitting room carpet.

you can wash the seal'nt off old tyres with soapy water and i have reused sealent just pour it into an old plastic chinese container as you remove the tyres.
    Jim Speed rides this pimped out SCOTT

img0496sn5.th.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i like tubeless, it pretty much eliminates puntures. be aware that conversion kits are pretty hard work. after a few attepmts, i would highly recommend ust tyres instead. they are a little heavy but well worth it.you dont need to put sealant in with ust tyres but it helps to seal punctures if you do.
  • again as others have stated there are great benefits to be had by running tubeless just don't think it means you can run the lightest tyres possible and have no problems. Most Tubeless users will say that UST tyres work better than converted tyres by a long margin. I run DT rims, DT rim kits and Continental Mountain King 2.4 USTs and they work a treat, low pressures loads of grip no punctures and relatively lightweight.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    so whats the difference between UST and tubeless?? i thought it was the same just named differently
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    UST utilises specific rims and tyres that lock into the rim once pressurised, to alllow you to run lower pressures for a wider "footprint" and more traction. (they are not necessarily lighter)
    Rim strips allow you to run standard tyres on standard rims without tubes, but require a sealant to work effectively. (but could be lighter than tubed arrangements, or UST)

I've just developed a system that allows you to run a standard tyre & tube at low pressure, for increased traction, but it eliminates pinch flats, and rim damage, while holding the tyre on the rim.(a cheap option at the same weight as current tubed offerings with obvious advantages)
    I'm currently testing it with Rowan Sorrell for DH use at 19psi .And He's recently returned from Spain and not flatted once on some "pretty nasty, rocky trails" his words in a recent e-mail to me. And Steve Jones is testing it on the 1:04 on a XC wheelset with a Conti Vertical tyre. I'm looking forward to getting the results of that test.

I'll post the results when I get all of the relevant info.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • In answer to Clarksons question Tubeless and UST are different terms, UST tyres are specifically designed not only to lock onto the rim as Skyliner stated but also to both hold air and fulfil all the functions of a tyre without a tube, so the casing is more reinforced and they normally have a higher threadcount and are butyl lined, Tubeless however can be either standard tyres with a sealant added or can have some but not all of the above mentioned features. It is a bit of minefiled hence the numerous posts on this Forum with this tyre and that tyre won't work etc. The easiest way to gaurantee success with either UST rims or rims converted with stans or eclipse etc is to use UST branded tyres.
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    I've just gone tubless and it was a hassle setting it up but everybody I spoke to about it says its worth it and you quickly get the hang of it, whcih is true and I did.

Check this link out that explains everthing - it really heped me with the full understand of tubless and the different systems and I rung these lot a couple of times and they were really helpfull

http://www.justridingalong.co.uk/shop.p ... category=1
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Skyliner,
    Any update on your cheap tubeless conversion? I want to use Conti Mountain Kings in 2.4" size with all the protections (lots of flint around here) and want to go tubeless. Is the UST version worth the extra money/weight? Have you seen this
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=337073
    for a budget conversion?
  • Bazzowmb
    Bazzowmb Posts: 227
    Contemplating the change myself after studying these threads and suffering from constant punctures (thorns) of late.

Currently running Mavix XC717's with Bonty Mud's and so after looking at the 'Just Riding Along' (JRA) site decided the Eclipse Tubeless Kits seem the best bet.

Anyone got any experience of this setup and whether it is achievable with just a track pump?

Also with summer on the way I'll be changing over to Panaracer Razor's, however , JRA advise against Panaracer tyres being used for DIY setups, does anyone run this combo tubeless?

Any help gratefully received :?:
  • I have run tubeless for 2 years now( mavic 819 ust rims ) and tried many tyres. UST tyres are foolproof but a little heavy. dont bother with michlin,irc,or panaracer non ust, as i have had them pull off the bead seat of the rim during hard cornering. have used standard maxxis tyres and racing ralphs for long periods with no problems and no punctures.( with sealer )
  • s1mon
    s1mon Posts: 618
    Hi,

I'm interested in going tubless, I have Bontrager Race Lite Tubless rims and Bontrager tubless ready tyres (but running tubes) so do I just need some sealent and some valves ? or what, it's very confusing with all this UST, tubless ready, tubless kits etc :oops:

Simon.
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    izthewiz1 wrote:
    Skyliner,
    Any update on your cheap tubeless conversion? I want to use Conti Mountain Kings in 2.4" size with all the protections (lots of flint around here) and want to go tubeless. Is the UST version worth the extra money/weight? Have you seen this
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=337073
    for a budget conversion?

It's not a tubeless conversion.
    I use tubes, but make them work with all the benefits of a UST system for a fraction of the cost, at about the same weight. And possibly adding more features if my theories are proved right during testing.
    It won't be availablle for a while, i just wanted to get some opinions to see if it was worth pursuing.

That "ghetto tubeless" option is a good idea to me. it'll only cost you a couple of ££££'s to try it, andit's lighter than UST. You'll need to run higher pressures, and possibly get a more skittish/pingy ride but if you can live with it for the savings, it's quite good.

My system should allow users to run higher pressures, but get the feel and traction of a lower pressure tyre. More stable, and durable.
    I'm currently only testing pinch flat and rim damage resistance at stupidly low pressures though.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • Bazzowmb wrote:
    the Eclipse Tubeless Kits seem the best bet.

Anyone got any experience of this setup and whether it is achievable with just a track pump?

Any help gratefully received :?:

I can confirm that the Eclipse kit is great, dead easy to use, great instructions and sealants seems good and lasts well.
    if you have DT rims dt's own tubeless conversion kit is the same as eclipse just repackaged.
  • Bazzowmb
    Bazzowmb Posts: 227
    Thanks Dave thats good to know.

What tyres have you used with it and was it achievable with a track pump?
  • continental Mountain king UST 2.4's at £30 each 800g a tyre and loads of grip, good all round tyre and seem fairly hardwearing also. got mine through ultimate pursuits as not many places stock them but they will dispatch them to any affiliated dealer.

and yes no problems inflating with a track pump and hold air just great.
  • I've never done tubeless but I imagine it must be like going to work without any underwear
    Train hard, ride easy
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Marjory Stewart-Baxtor, you taste like sunshine dust.
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    Hello peeps,

I ran Panaracer Razer's with homemade tubeless & sealant, I'm not recommending it. They seal fine and obviously dont pinch puncture, but, they're so thorn prone I've run out of sealant on 1 ride!!! (Not to mention the crap levels of grip!) Sorry if you love you're Razer's (I used to), but now realise that traction needs to be better if you're going to run tubeless. It really is too much hassle to keep changing from summer to winter tyres whenever it gets claggy and wet. I'm trying Nobby nics next as a fast all rounder for tubeless. :shock: (how much £????) they better be good!![/quote]
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • TommyK
    TommyK Posts: 177
    Oh, I also put some Scott cougars on my Mrs bike with tubeless, they go down every 2-3months but otherwise are fine. I used maxxis high roller xc's and panaracer fire mud pro's. I also made my own rimstrips out of 20" tubes and bought some 'wheelmilk' from just riding along.com. Cost £15 all in and is just as good as stans, some contact adhesive is sometimes required to seal awkward bits though, however, once sorted you're good for months!
    -Monkey-like creature, only with less digits!!-

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1835856/
  • mr snk
    mr snk Posts: 1
    s1mon wrote:
    Hi,

I'm interested in going tubless, I have Bontrager Race Lite Tubless rims and Bontrager tubless ready tyres (but running tubes) so do I just need some sealent and some valves ? or what, it's very confusing with all this UST, tubless ready, tubless kits etc :oops:

Simon.

Hey Simon, I've recently gone tubeless with Bontrager Race Lite rims and tubeless ready tires. Not quite got mine seated right, they're sealed, and it was my first attempt.

You need to:
    - check the rim has a plastic strip running around it, embedded in the rim, so you can't see the spoke entry
    -make sure you have Bontrager valves fitted in the rim (you can buy these for a couple of quid)
    -get some 'Super Juice' sealant
    -read the installing Bontrager Tubeless manual you can get online in PDF

Have a go, clean the tyres and rim, keep them soapy when fitting the tyre. It'll be tight getting it on, and will involve lots of cursing, but it will happen. Keep the faith.

Possible problems:
    -valve swivelled around in place when tightening washer/screw, removes the seal with the tyre and makes impossible to inflate. It should lay in the rim with the most room available between it and the rim. (Took me 20 minutes and a sore arm to work that out)
    -possibly not putting the tyre on equally at each side during installation leaving it slightly twisted (not sure if this is true but mine seem to have a small twist in the tread)
    -not having enough rapid inflation to seat them, i used a hand pump and I think I need to use a track pump to get it to work properly
    --twisted, deformed tyre from folding (pump it up with a tube and leave overnight)

I still haven't got mine quite seated but I sure as hell will soon! Any similar problems that you have the answer to let me know!

Mr Snk[/list]
  • Sounds good to me Skyliner!