£550 to spend - Which Road bike?

mccaffertyj
mccaffertyj Posts: 29
edited March 2008 in Road beginners
Folks,

as the subject suggests I have £550 to spend. Which Road bike should I go for?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104
    Boardman Comp got some good reviews. Cycling plus voted it Best Budget Bike. £599

What sort of bike are you after? There are bikes and bikes and bikes...!
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Specialized Allez
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Giant SCR
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Yeah, or a Specialized Allez

:wink:
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Allez.

Or anything you like that fits you well,
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    I second the Giant SCR. The excellent SCR 2.0 (Tiagra components) is about £550 full price, or you might be able to get a higher spec last year's model significantly reduced.
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    I got my SCR 2.0 for £480 because it was an 07 model. Have a look on De Ver Cycles, last I saw they were £525. You can (if on a very tight budget) get an SCR 4 for around £290.

SCRs are better then Allezs, well at least 07 Allezs, SCRs have better groupos (completely tiagra, whereas Allezs have Sora and Tiagra, or just Sora.)
  • what about this? thinking about buying myself one

http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/index.htm ... 7&brandID=
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Ribble winter trainer with Mirage?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    what about this? thinking about buying myself one

http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/index.htm ... 7&brandID=

You do know that that's not a road bike?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Have pasted the correct URL there Felix?

I've got the bike you've linked to but as a first road bike... :?

I'm a contented Allez Sport owner of 18 months though the wheels and tyres as supplied had to go.
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Bianchi C2C Xenon, £595. 10 speed Campagnolo, not 9 speed Shimano Sora/Tiagra.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • A Ribble 7005 Audax, 10 speed Mirage worth considering for £499?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • sorry copy'd wro ng link/
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • sean65 wrote:
    Boardman Comp got some good reviews. Cycling plus voted it Best Budget Bike. £599

What sort of bike are you after? There are bikes and bikes and bikes...!

I am looking for a bike to do 30 to 60 mile trips at the weekend. I have looked at the Giant SCR2 and it seems very good. I tried out a friends older model, the SCR3 which put me in the mind for going after the SCR2.

Is the Giant SCR2 the best bike in this price range or would anyone beg to differ?

Thanks for your comments!
  • I would give this baby serious consideration.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ert%202007
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The Focus looks amazing value. Ultegra and reasonabaly decent wheels. Not bad at all.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Allez or the Focus. I've actually owned both - still have the Variado Expert, and they're both great. I'd go for the Focus though, I reckon it's the better bike, the frame seems better built and I preferred the ride of the Focus as well. Plus the VFM is unbeatable. I've been meaning to sell mine but cannot bear to part with her.
  • After some deliberation I went and bought the Giant SCR 2. Lovely bike to cycle though got a bad soaking from the wet surface sparking up from the tyres. Would anyone recommend a set of mudguards for this bike or would it take the look away from it :?:

Thanks.....
    :D
  • HI Maccafferty - glad you like the SCR - I've got the same bike as you, and enjoyed it just as much! I tried the Giant own brank mudguards, thinking stupidly that they would fit like the proverbial glove. However, the bracket was too large for the clearance between the brake caliper and the wheel! I tried to bodge a solution, but without success, before giving up and getting SKS Chromoplastics. They're brilliant! Fit easily, perfectly. Highly recommended. Ribble do them cheap.
  • HI Maccafferty - glad you like the SCR - I've got the same bike as you, and enjoyed it just as much! I tried the Giant own brank mudguards, thinking stupidly that they would fit like the proverbial glove. However, the bracket was too large for the clearance between the brake caliper and the wheel! I tried to bodge a solution, but without success, before giving up and getting SKS Chromoplastics. They're brilliant! Fit easily, perfectly. Highly recommended. Ribble do them cheap.

Hi Canterbury Tailwind - I'd really appreciate if you would provide a pic of your bike with the mudguards to give me a view of what they look like attached.

Thanks.....
  • I'll try and get you a pic tonight...
  • I'll try and get you a pic tonight...

Thanks - appreciate your help with this.....
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    huggy wrote:
    SCRs are better then Allezs, well at least 07 Allezs, SCRs have better groupos (completely tiagra, whereas Allezs have Sora and Tiagra, or just Sora.)

Allezs are much better looking than SCRs.
  • Hi Mccafferty - I tried to post a pic, but couldn't work out how. D'oh! Any ideas? If you don't know either, I can just send you an email attachment if you let me know what your address is (let me know via private message).
  • Hi Mccafferty - I tried to post a pic, but couldn't work out how. D'oh! Any ideas? If you don't know either, I can just send you an email attachment if you let me know what your address is (let me know via private message).

Hi CanterburyTailwind,

I dropped you a PM with my email address. Can you let me know that you received it?

Thanks! :)