Worn Rims

narbs
narbs Posts: 593
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Took my bike into the LBS today to re-true the rear wheel and was told that the rims are on their last legs.

Had planned to get some new wheels anyway so no problem there, but am I safe to ride in the meantime, particularly the 70 mile club run this weekend?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hard to tell. Could be the LBS is trying to sell you a new pair or they really could be
    ready to come apart. I would go ahead and ride them until you get a pair that YOU
    trust. Hopefully they won't blow up on your 70 miler. You might break a spoke or two
    if they are in really bad shape and have to phone for help. This is worst case. I have
    seen (one time) a spoked wheel literally come apart. You know, spokes everwhere,
    the rider wasn't hurt but it was certainly the end of his day.

Dennis Noward
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Depends on how they are defining "on last legs"! One would hope that if in imminent danger of collapse they would have said so, but then again maybe not. Short of being able to measure thickness and compare with original, all you can do I think is "feel" them. If noticeably concave, then near to or at safe limit.

Only you can tell/decide I fear.

Opinion only you understand.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Thanks both.

One of the spokes went a couple of weeks ago and one side is very noticeably concave so maybe that's a sign! I've only done 3000 miles on them though, and whilst they're only Shimano R500's I'd have hoped for a few more miles than that.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Pump your tyres up to 150-160psi and leave them overnight.
    If they aren't safe to ride, they'll either go bang, or the rim flanges will noticeably bend outwards, making the sides even more concave.

don't forget to let the extra air out before you do ride.

Also, if they do fail out on the road it may well first be apparent as knocking brakes, as a short section of rim cracks and is pushed out into a bulge. If that happens, avoid the use of that brake, reduce the tyre pressure and go straight home.
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    3000 miles :shock:

Is that normal? I did well over 12,000 on my mtb (Mavic rims) before they needed replacing. I hope my new road bike with Racing 7s last a lot longer than 3K. I've already done over 1000 miles and I've only had it a few months.

Red Rock
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    3000 miles isn't long, but it also depends upon how clean the bike is kept and the conditions it's used in. I've had serious miles out of a pair of Mavic rims - wore thin eventually, and cracked - but spotted this crack before it got worse.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Miles isn't an issue, hills are, if you regularly come down 1 in4 hills on the brakes then they are going to wear ount faster than if you ride on the flat. I bought a pair of Mavic Cosmos wheels two years ago they were meant to have done under 1000 km and they looked like new, I've now put about 3000 miles on them and the rims are looking worn, I do live on the edge of the North York moors and ride lots of hills. May be I should get softer pads.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace