South Downs Way 5th 6th April - any takers?

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    PJM-84 wrote:
    The South Downs from Winchester to the A3 was nice this morning. Ground was nice and compacted allowing a quick pace. Chalk was a little slippy though.
    argghhhh, now you're just making me long for this trip more and I think I may be about to bore the missus to a coma :shock:
  • We are going ski-ing in Canada on Thursday, but i am now more excited about this! I am usually really depressed after returning from a ski-ing trip, but it is great to have something to look forward to this time.

So what is the room situation in the hostel? I have never stayed in a hostel before. Is there like loads of people to a room? Do you know where we are staying on the friday night yet?

Andy.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Last time i stayed at a hostel (as a drunken student :oops:) it was a load of beds in a room and you stay with whoever else is in there. Its basically just a bed for the night. Research of the are has shown a pub closeby so we're probably not going to spend a lot of time in the rooms ;) There aren't normally more than about 6 in a room though so the 4 of us might even get lucky and have a room to ourselves.

As for the Friday - we should have booked something early next week. It should be a couple of twin rooms in a B&B, probably about £25 a head including some breakfast :)
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Good vids and Pics Ade well found!

Bit worried about just how big of a bag your planning on taking ade, ive currently got a 9l chaos and was thinking id need something a tiny bit bigger like the 13lHawg but seeing your taking a 35l bag!!!???? im questioning myself if i can fit everything ill need in.

Ive stayed in a Youth Hostel before and its just a load of bunk beds in a room, very basic but it does the job.

Cant Wait!
  • pittpony
    That's OK Russ - Ade's huge bag can take anything we can't fit in our own bags :wink::lol:

I was thinking about getting a bigger bag but no idea just how big. I'm planning to travel as light as is hygenically possible ;) But whatever i pack i'm going to have to take some jeans along as i can't leave the house without them :wink:
  • RussAlf
    pittpony wrote:
    That's OK Russ - Ade's huge bag can take anything we can't fit in our own bags :wink::lol:

I was thinking about getting a bigger bag but no idea just how big. I'm planning to travel as light as is hygenically possible ;) But whatever i pack i'm going to have to take some jeans along as i can't leave the house without them :wink:

Jeans? ehh? Good idea, ade can be the donkey. Though thinking about it, as your bike weighs about half of what mine does how about you carry all my gear? :D Kind of equals itself out? yeah?
  • pittpony
    Hmm, nice logic. Must make sure i pack my bag full so nobody else's stuff will fit in it ;)
  • I have just pm'ed you all my mobile and e-mail.

I wonder if we can arrange to all be in the same room? would make things a lot easyer logistically.

I wouldn't go spending loads on bigger ruck sacks, as we won't need to take many clothes. It's not like we will be going to a michelin star restaurant or anything. Just make sure you bring deodorant :)

Andy.
  • impished
    :shock:
    Sorry did I put 35l, I meant 3.5l :twisted:
  • RussAlf
    Andy ill ring up the hostel tomorrow and see if its possible for you to be in the same room as us. Is it booked under andy turner?
  • RussAlf wrote:
    Andy ill ring up the hostel tomorrow and see if its possible for you to be in the same room as us. Is it booked under andy turner?

Hey Russ.

It is booked under Andrew Turner. If you need any other info give me a ring.

Cheers mate,

Andy.
  • my back pack on sunday was the

Camelbak Octane 14 Plus

with :
    3.0 litre hydration capacity
    15.7 - 23.1 (when expanded) litre cargo capacity

Just though i would let you know.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • pittpony
    deadpool2e wrote:
    my back pack on sunday was the

Camelbak Octane 14 Plus

with :
    3.0 litre hydration capacity
    15.7 - 23.1 (when expanded) litre cargo capacity

Just though i would let you know.
    Thanks - ordered one today :D Where did you get yours from?
  • I think i got it from wiggle on offer. not sure how much i paid for it.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • breezer wrote:
    65 miles offroad in a day? 25 is about the most I can do max! Luckily (??) I will be in Belgium doing service crew for a friend that is rallying so will have to miss this heh
    maybe you need to train more, we did it in a day. Several of my mates have done it plenty of times in a day. One mate got a bit ambitious and rode from gravesend to eastbourne on friday, rode from eastbourne to winchester on saturday and started from winchester to the south downs randonee on sunday and only made it to queen elizabeth country park and realized he wasn't going to make it and baled.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    If you have a reasonable amout of fitness it's down to fuelling.

The problem with the South Downs is refuelling. When I did it we took a detour into Upper Bedding and "raided" a nicely stocked shop at the petrol station there. We subsquent passed two riders later on who had bonked and shared what we had left with them.

If I was to do it in one hit again, which I will, I would aim to take 10 gels and 10 high calorie bars.
    Paul
  • pittpony
    All useful advice - cheers guys :D I'll be stocking up on gels and stuff pretty soon i think
  • As someone mentioned earlier, the big problem with the south downs way is refuelling. Truliegh YHA is on top of a hill, miles from anywhere. I strongly recommend going for food in the valley before you get to the hostel (think nearest village is Upper Beeding - turn left when you hit the A283) otherwise you'll find yourselves stuck for food and drink (and by the time you get there you might not feel like getting on the bikes for a quick ride up and down the hill!).

Sounds like you'll have a great time though. Enjoy the descents - they're stupidly fast!
  • RussAlf
    Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Im just in the process of producing a map on Tracklogs with al the Pub stops on it :lol: no really i am! aswell as Water Taps of course!
  • impished
    PITTPONY wrote:
    I took your sugestion on board Nick, and got a 22l bag instead :wink: . Gonna try fitting some kit in it tonight :?

BTW, think I broke a rib during last weekends aerobatics :twisted: I better remember to take LOTS of painkillers in April!!!! :roll:
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    Hmm, I've been watching this thread and I must admit, I am tempted!
    So if you could answer these I would be most gratefull...

How much is it going to cost with hotel/hostels?
    How many days is it going to last?
    How many miles in total?
    When are you looking to go?
  • RussAlf
    Cost approx £100ish including hostel, B&B and Train Fares.

B&B friday night in Winchester ready for early start saturday.

Youth Hostel Saturday Night.

65miles first day

30miles second day

Total about 100miles in 2 days. Its tough and you will have to be of reasonable good fitness.

Arrving winchester Friday 4th April evening, finishing 6th April in Eastbourne.

Of course if you have been watching this thread you would of known this as its all in the first page :lol::lol::lol:

Russ
  • RussAlf
    impished wrote:
    PITTPONY wrote:
    I took your sugestion on board Nick, and got a 22l bag instead :wink: . Gonna try fitting some kit in it tonight :?

BTW, think I broke a rib during last weekends aerobatics :twisted: I better remember to take LOTS of painkillers in April!!!! :roll:

BUGGER! Hope its not to bad, i broke 2 ribs last summer and it had me out of action for ages. Worst bit was sleeping. Seriously hope you havnt and its just bruised as your still be feeling them on the ride.

Have you got a link to that bag you broght ade? im going to have a trial fit of everything in my bag soon to see if i can get away without buying a new one.

Russ
  • Papa Smurf
    So if I was to tag along.... Am I too late and would I have to find somewhere to stay or is that all sorted?
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Hi guys.

I am having trouble accessing my e mails on my iPod, how's it all going with the b&b and transportation? I suppose I could use the pc in the hotel, but by the time we have got back from ski ing all day and recovered in the hot tub, we are starving and just want to eat, and frankly I can't be arsed :roll: . I know, its a hard life over here :D

Andy
  • pittpony
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    So if I was to tag along.... Am I too late and would I have to find somewhere to stay or is that all sorted?
    PapaSmirf - great that you want to come along, but i think you might have left it too late. We only just got in the hostel ourselves and we booked a few weeks back! I don't think accomodation is very plentiful along the SDW :(

We may well be doing it again sometime soon (or a similarly silly venture) so we'll let you know what we're planning

Andy - i booked the B&B in Winchester for Friday. They're happy to take bikes and we can turn up when we like as i'll have a key. We decided on the train as the van was starting to become very expensive. Sounds like you're enjoying the skiing! It's Monday morning and i'm at work :(
  • impished
    RUSSALF wrote:
    Have you got a link to that bag you broght ade? im going to have a trial fit of everything in my bag soon to see if i can get away without buying a new one.
    I actually got mine from Evans on a 'last chance' offer £39 for '07 model. They do them at Wiggle for £49.99 for '08 model. Comes with rain cover, helmet net, pull-out seat cushion :shock: and is suprisingly comfortable when riding.
  • Papa Smurf
    pittpony wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    PapaSmirf - great that you want to come along, but i think you might have left it too late. We only just got in the hostel ourselves and we booked a few weeks back! I don't think accomodation is very plentiful along the SDW

Can someone do me a massive favour and give whatever hotel/hostel a ring and see? I don't have access to a phone atm!
    Tbh, I really wana come and don't mind kipping on a floor in someone's room. Am 100% up for it if there is any chance I can.

Fingers crossed!
  • pittpony
    Just checked and it says no bookings available :( I don't think they let people stay on the floors of these places as they are communal rooms so its not fair on the other guests...
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    Hey guys. I finally managed to read all your e mails, well done with the b&b, I know that took a lot of work. Which one did you go for in the end and how much? Also have you worked out how much the train fare is going to cost?

Yes we are having a very good time ski ing. Weather has been a bit strange. The temperature had been well above freezing for a couple of weeks before we arrived so everyone is doing a snow dance at the moment. There is still 176cm though so its all good, just a bit icy in places as its down to around -7deg c for the last few days. just found out Sunshine got 6 inches today so guess where we are going tomorrow :D
    I am a bit worrid what my bike ftness is going to be like when I get back. I wore my heart rate monitor on the first day and it never went over 130bpm and I only burnt 1450 kcal in 8 hours! think I am going to have to do some seariouse training when we return home!

Don't work too hard guys

Andy.