Fitting Tubeless - advice

carbonfiend
carbonfiend Posts: 475
edited March 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've gone tubeless with Stans ZTR Olympic rims fitted rim strip, tyre and injected milk I was told that the tyre will deflate a few times before it settles anybody got any experience on how long this should last, when should I expect the tyre to hold the air.
Running Conti Speed King supersonics.
'..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'

Comments

• have a look fro previous topics about Tubeless queries as you have picked possibly the worst tyre to try and get to run tubeless with, another fella on here tried and failed miserably. they are too thin as they are a race tyre with as little extra material to them as possible. all will agree that UST tyres are the easiest and most reliable way to run tubeless either with UST or converted rims. I use Continental Mountain Kings 2.4 UST 800g each, hold air no trouble.
  • I've gone tubeless with Stans ZTR Olympic rims fitted rim strip, tyre and injected milk I was told that the tyre will deflate a few times before it settles anybody got any experience on how long this should last, when should I expect the tyre to hold the air.
    Running Conti Speed King supersonics.

Hi
    I run the same set up of Olympic rims but with the stans seperate Presta valves and there Yellow tape which is lighter ! .with Conti Speed Kings.

Mine are fine but the rear did loose about 5 psi over the first week and went flat on the first evening after i fitted the tyres .

However i re-inflated the tyres upto 45 psi and they go PING ! as they seat in the rim and then back to 35psi. and i did have to shake the rims a bit to get them to seal as is shown on the stans no tubes tutorial video on there website. but it was'nt too hard.

it also helped to remove the valve core to get the initial bead to seal correctly and plenty of soapy water.

I have now been using them for four weeks with no loss of air and have sealed upto 8 punctures i think with no worries

P.S dont try to fit Schwibble Nobby Nic UST tyres to stans Rims as they DON'T Fit....
    i know this to my cost ( aprox £80).
    Jim Speed rides this pimped out SCOTT

img0496sn5.th.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i am the victim of trying to fit speedking supersonics that artillery dave mentioned. dont try, save the cash and but ust tyres. even if you do get the tyres to seat, (which i did) you will never seal all of the tiny holes in the side walls of a supersonic carcass.
  • i am the victim of trying to fit speedking supersonics that artillery dave mentioned. dont try, save the cash and but ust tyres. even if you do get the tyres to seat, (which i did) you will never seal all of the tiny holes in the side walls of a supersonic carcass.

The Stans Olympic rims are Not ! UST Rims so beware of buying UST tyres to fit on these rims as mine are quite narrow in profile and some UST tyres have a very wide bead which means you cant get the tyres onto the rims.....

hence i run non UST tyres with the stans kit.
    so please check first that the tyres can be mounted on the rims
    Jim Speed rides this pimped out SCOTT

img0496sn5.th.jpg
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    cheers for replies as it happens all is sweet now they are infated no probs it just took a few times to get them up etc and somebody suggested to me to ride them straight after they were inflated for half an hour and this seems to have sorted it all out and they aren't losing any air.

Not been out proper yet though as since I got all the wheels built I obviously got a new cassette and chain and also front mech and shifters (XTR) and now the fucking gears jump all over the place :cry:
    Somebody said I would need new chain rings as I've got all this new other stuff but has anybody seen the price of new M970 XTR chainrings :shock: might as well get a new crankset.
    Spoke to where I got the job done and they said they checked the chain ring and it was fine otherwise they would have told me to change it.

Gotta take it in tomorrow for them to see what the problem is, hopefully just a cable issue etc.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Have you tried readjusting them yourself?