freehub removal

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
hello
im attempting to remove the freehub. iv been following the step by step guid on parktools
but when it came to removing the actual freehub im stuck.
iv tried using a 10mm hex to remove the freehub holding bolt but it has nothing to grip to there are just some very small grooves which should take the hex but are too small so the hex just slips round.
any idea would be very helpful.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm pretty sure its a 10mm, most Shimano are. Could try downloading the service sheet from Shimano.
  • yer im sure its 10mm . 11 would be too big n not fit. just there is very little for it to grip
    any chance its been woren down over the years?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing to wear it down really! Is it a good allen key, and it is going in far enough?
  • its going in as far ass possible and there decent tools.
    iim just trying to clean it because it stoped engaging the other day. not vital just could do with bike working untill new wheel comes since crashed car few weeks back n still in the middle of fixing it so got no transport
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what is the hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It might not be a Shimano hub, might be a a cheapo cassette hub with shimano pattern freehub. If thats the case there are some freehubs you remove from the non-drive side with a 12mm allen key, Sovos I think.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Freewheel : Shimano CS HG50 9 speed
    Rear hub : Shimano FH-M475 disc

its shimano and it looks like it should fit but is just slightly too large.
    gonna see if i can find another 10mm allen key incase it is just the tool.
    but any help would be good
  • we have a solution :P
    used a 8mm torx wrench which fit perfect.
    not too sure why since every were said it was a 10mm allen even on shimano :?
    thanks for help anyways:)
  • hello again
    iv encountered another problem. after removing freehub i went to remove rear seal as of step 4 on park tools http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45
    and there just isnt 1. the bit at the back with the 10 splines on has just a wide top then a very small gap then the free hub body.
    i was just wondering can i still get in some how to clean it with solvent and re lube it?
    thanks
  • nicklouse
    i was just wondering can i still get in some how to clean it with solvent and re lube it?
    you want to get into the freehub?

Dont just buy a new one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • i ment just as far as it goes on parktools to remove the seal so i can flush it with solvent as its now engaging again but not sur efor how long.
    iv ordered my new wheel but just nice to have working spare.
    and any ideas why mine was a torx not hex bolt
  • nicklouse
    worn out and fell off?

the "bolts" are multi sided 12 points like a Torx bit but an allen key should work.
  • could have been it was just that the 8mm torx fitted perfect no play. but doesnt matter now its sorted lucky i had the tool.
    chears anyways