New to SPD's

kpr1969
kpr1969 Posts: 112
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Have just picked up my new bike (boardman team) an lookin to get locked in. The pedals that are on it are bikehut semi spd's so got on ebay an got me some 08 shimano M770's so lookin for a shoe to fix them to. I'm a UK sz 10 with a fairly wide foot so the usual ATB shoes look quite narrow. I have found the Diadora Caymano in my size and was wondering what these were like.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=21741

Don't want to go spending a fortune on shoes in case I don't take to being locked in.
would these be ok?
Rides will be mostly road with some xc an single track to start with, building up as my fitness levels grow.

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    These are another alternative, althogh beware of Shimano's small sizing.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18376
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    I would be dubious about buying shoes online, you should visit your lbs and try a couple out. Personally I'd reccomend a Specailized BG shoe, they are very comfy and not too expensive.
  • Better if you go to the shop, and try them up, also various models, no matter if you are intresting on them (only cheking the size) then, buy them in internet, is the thing I did, was wondering the shimano Mp66 and the new shimano MT41 (very confi) but I ended buying this ones, and I very pleased with them!! :D:wink:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20183
    Give a smile, is free!!!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    If you've got feet that are in any way wide be very careful with shimanos as I was getting numb toes after an hour or so, saying that I've got plates of meat that were a GG width @ school :?
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Specialized are renowned for those of us with a wider foot!
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I really, really recommend trying them on before you buy. And remember to wear the number of pairs of socks you will have on when riding - i didn't and mine are a bit too small with all the winter layers on :roll:
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i wouldnt buy anything of evans, as there are cheaper online retailers, crc wiggle etc
  • dannyg
    dannyg Posts: 59
    I have the very same shoes, i use them for commuting to work and all my off road pursuits. They're are lasting up very well and are pretty comfy. I first off bought some Shimano shoes off ebay and i found them terribly narrow...and they were a size too large for me!!! As everybody else says, go to a shop to try them on first, then order them off the web.

You could also try Cycle Promotions bike sales that tour the country, they usually have some of last years models at decent prices.

kpr1969 wrote:
    Have just picked up my new bike (boardman team) an lookin to get locked in. The pedals that are on it are bikehut semi spd's so got on ebay an got me some 08 shimano M770's .

I'm hopefully picking up a Boardman Pro next week and have been looking at the spec sheets. Your bike should have come with Shimano M505R SPD pedals, first of all i think i'd be chasing Halfords for the correct pedals.

check out this link to the spec sheet (if it works) http://www.boardmanbikes.com/boardman_mtb_spec.pdf
    Dan daren't but he did anyway!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Team
  • kpr1969
    kpr1969 Posts: 112
    My bike wasn't new. Was like new as the previous owner had only used it to ride to the shop a couple of times. I checked the spec out before I bought it an though they aren't the ones that should be on it but a scout of the bikehut site shows they retail for £39.99 which could mean they aint that bad a pedal.
    The Xt's have arrived now so I have taken the bull by the horns an ordered some Mt31's recommended in one of the early posts. Only £32'99 so if they don't measure up I can always return them.
    Seriously everybody, thanks for the advice. never fails to amaze how helpful people in here can be without any of the snobbery that can go on in some of the forums.