Any tips on bleeding brakes?

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I think i need to bleed my brakes as the back one is making a bubbling feeling through the brake lever - they are Hayes sole brakes. I have read the manual on hayes website but has anyone got any extra tips / things to watch out for e.g. i heard that you should hold the brake lever on with a cable tie so the reservoir fills up properly - is this true? Have never bled a brake before as my old bikes only had V's.

Also in the manual it says "For the “SO1E” the bike should remain horizontal to the ground, and the lever should remain parallel to the ground." but surely the bike needs to stand up not be horizontal so that the air bubbles can travel out of the system?

Finally as im doing the back one is it worth doing the front one even though it seems fine. I have had the bike since september 2007 and usually ride for a few hours each week if that makes any difference.

Thanks
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you might just need to wind your inside pad in towards the disc. soles only have one moving piston so the other pad needs to be adjusted almost after every ride.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    nonnac85 wrote:
    Also in the manual it says "For the “SO1E” the bike should remain horizontal to the ground, and the lever should remain parallel to the ground." but surely the bike needs to stand up not be horizontal so that the air bubbles can travel out of the system?

Thanks

You are pumping fluid through the system, forcing the air bubbles out.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred