Wellgo MG1 mag pedals stiff bearings?

strak
strak Posts: 439
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
got a set instead of V12 mags (they were lighter)

bearings seem quite stiff though pedals dont spin freely at all - this normal?
cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are they new?

have you used them yet and spread the grease about?

are they smooth or notchy?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • strak
    strak Posts: 439
    were new, used 10 hours. were stiff, still are -
    might strip and investigate. They should spin unresisted, right?
  • nicklouse
    reasonably but as they are sealed bearings on the outside they are not as free as cage ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SOunds normal. These wear in, others wear out.
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    My MG1's spin a bit more freely now, after a couple of 100 miles. But they do squeak now!! I really must sort this out, as it sounds like a hamster is riding with me.
  • nicklouse
    Milkie
    see the easy way to grease your pedals in FAQ.

Not that it is not easy to strip them down.... :wink:
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Mine have been smooth as silk straight out of the box - and have stayed that way after a couple of hundred miles of riding through awful winter mud.

Perhaps that helps, perhaps it doesn't. Hope mine don't start squeaking anyway!
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    one of my V12s sounds like I'm standing on a kitten on every pedal stroke..must sort after this weekends ride
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    My Wellgos were stiff when new, about 2 rotations when spun, starting to loosen up now after about 100 miles.
  • My MG1's were the same, even though you cannot get them to spin fast they are still smooth with no issues.

Also mine squeaked like a stuffed pig as well. I just put some grease on the rubber bit near the crnak end, stopped straight away.
    Agreed, just fitted a new set to mine, they are a little stiff ie don't spin freely, but definately had the Hamster squeak. It was the rubber seal on one of them, that a little lube sorted out.