shut up hope freehub

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Any one know how to quieten a hope freehub I bought a set of hope wheels on ebay but I cant use them the bloody noise is doing my head in :x
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    New hub or put up with it. My two mtbs have hope hubs, the noise doesn't bother me. You'll get used to it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    grease the pawls will quiten it for a while.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    Light oil in the freehub will do the trick,(the trials version runs with it) but you'll have to strip & lube it about once a month to keep it sweet because the std version has a different labyrinth seal.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • Wear some earplugs :wink:
    I love the sound o my hope hubs i know they're workin...... or is that a swarm of bees chasin you? :wink:
    Come to think of it, how often should i be servicing my pro2 hubs? (didn't get any manual when i got em!)
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • Change them for something quiet - like XTR, which are virtually silent. Well mine is anyway!
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    ha, my deores dont make a sound... and i think they were about £20!! still want some hopes like, i live the noise!!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    if they didn't make the noise they wouldn't be hopes, it would have concequences on the order of the universe to get rid of it :p
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    More/thicker grease in the freehubs will make them quieter.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Yep greape bulbs!se it up it up! You can't hear a click off my ho
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Surely putting excess grease into something like a hub is a recipie for disater
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Surely putting excess grease into something like a hub is a recipie for disater

As long as you don't pack the freehub full, it will be ok. If the pawls start making a racket, you know there is too much grease. Or your springs.pawls need replacing.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    i love the sound of my hopes. beautiful!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • hopes are music to my ears!!! if u stretch the springs slightly they click even louder too ;)
    Bike obsessed/adrenaline junkie/racer/idiot
    2011 orange crush
    NS surge custom build ( for sale)
    GT power series 24 bmx race bike
    2010 Verde Vex BMX
  • why would you want to make hopes quiet.

as a skate park rider we always deside the person with the loudest hub is the coolest (or something like that lol)
    stephen hall
  • smitty
    smitty Posts: 125
    yeah they make abit of noise but didnt we all put lolly pop sticks through the back wheel as kids ? youll get use to the noise but i find it quiet calming
  • stubs
    I solved the problem of the noisy hope hub I sold the hubs and bought a pair of xt hubs now its so quiet AHHHHHH BLISS :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    they only make noise if your not pedalling... simple solution.
    i ride a hardtail
  • stubs
    I am an asthmatic lardarse I need to stop pedalling sometimes so i can breathe also its good fun silently creeping up on dog walkers and making them and there dog shit machines jump
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    stubs wrote:
    I solved the problem of the noisy hope hub I sold the hubs and bought a pair of xt hubs now its so quiet AHHHHHH BLISS :lol:

Did you not read reviews of xt hubs? They wil be silent for the first 3 months, then they willl get louder and louder with the sound of them breaking.

I cant beleive you replaced hope hubs with xt's.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    xt are fine, as long as you maintain them well.

I'd rather forgo the hassle and keep my hopes though. I only strip them when i'm bored.
  • stubs
    XT hubs are cup and cone with loose balls if I strip and regrease them a couple of times a year (which takes all of about 15 mins) and put new balls in regulary and a new freehub every couple of years then they should last me about as long as my original deore xt hubs 11 years and still rolling smoothly on my commuter iron
  • stubs wrote:
    Any one know how to quieten a hope freehub I bought a set of hope wheels on ebay but I cant use them the bloody noise is doing my head in :x

Buy some earplugs and suck it up
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

Buy some earplugs and suck it up

Bloody hell talk about raising the dead this thread is 5 and a half years old :lol::lol:

I had forgotten about those Hopes I loathed the bloody things sold them and made a few quid profit and the XT hubs that replaced them are now on a mates bikes still smoothly and quietly rolling. Now got Easton hubs and they are noiseless but dont know how they will last.
  • stubs
    These are supposed to be the quietest and toughest BMX/MTB hubs you can buy but eye wateringly expensive

http://www.trueprecisioncomponents.com/tpc-products/mtb-rear-hub/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Xt are good hubs, but by the nature of Shimano market share there will always be more -ve reviews. Besides few report that as a failure mode!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.