Anyone know where I can get a cotter pin press?

Roger Davies
Roger Davies Posts: 305
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Park have discontinued theirs. Thanks
Old bikes are better

Comments

• Cajun wrote:

Thanks Cajun. But £25 + postage is a bit pricey. There must be cheaper one somewhere.
    Old bikes are better
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    From the looks of it, it should be very simple to improvise, or even have a machine shop make it. Can you 'model' one and have a machine shop duplicate it? (Steel block on a Shaper and tapped for the bolt...or am I over-simplifying it??) I'm pretty much limited to searching here in the US..
    Cajun
  • Cajun wrote:
    From the looks of it, it should be very simple to improvise, or even have a machine shop make it. Can you 'model' one and have a machine shop duplicate it? (Steel block on a Shaper and tapped for the bolt...or am I over-simplifying it??) I'm pretty much limited to searching here in the US..

Thanks Cajun. Yes you're right improvisation should be simple. If were made out of mild steel I'd attempt it myself. I've got taps and drills but it's probably case hardened which complicates things. Modelling is an idea worth trying though. Incidentally what's a 'shaper'?

Cheers
    RD
    Old bikes are better
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    A 'Shaper' is a machine that slices bits of metal stock in a precision motion. (as a Lathe shaves round stock in minute depths and also a horizontal movement, the Shaper is used to remove material from stock that is not round in a in/out motion.... hard to describe.....
    All Machine shops have one and they should have any hard steel stock on hand....simple to set up and it souldn't be expensive..

Here's a link to help(??) describe:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-7-7B-Metal-Sh ... otohosting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaper
    Cajun
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    my LBS admitted to getting a metal tube to support the crank and hammering it in

it seems to have worked with little or no damage to the bike
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Cajun wrote:
    A 'Shaper' is a machine that slices bits of metal stock in a precision motion. (as a Lathe shaves round stock in minute depths and also a horizontal movement, the Shaper is used to remove material from stock that is not round in a in/out motion.... hard to describe.....
    All Machine shops have one and they should have any hard steel stock on hand....simple to set up and it souldn't be expensive..

Here's a link to help(??) describe:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-7-7B-Metal-Sh ... otohosting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaper

Cheers. Learn something every day.
    Old bikes are better
  • my LBS admitted to getting a metal tube to support the crank and hammering it in

it seems to have worked with little or no damage to the bike

Hi Random. I usually do that but it's hit and miss as to whether you damage the cotter or not and they are getting harder to find to replace. Also hammering them back in isnt as effective in making them solid against movement as a press. At least that's what Sheldon says and who am I to argue.

Cheers
    RD
    Old bikes are better
  • Could you improvise with a 'G' clamp:

g_clamp.gif

With a sawn off section of steel tube/box section to form the U shape araldited/spot welded to the static face of the clamp (i.e not the face with the thread)?
  • carlstone wrote:
    Could you improvise with a 'G' clamp:

g_clamp.gif

With a sawn off section of steel tube/box section to form the U shape araldited/spot welded to the static face of the clamp (i.e not the face with the thread)?

Thanks Carl. Havent tried that but I dont think it's strong enough. The last one of those I used on a car ball joint it snapped.

Thanks anyway
    RD
    Old bikes are better