Re-spacing fixed hub.

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited February 2008 in Road general
I have an On - One small flange fixed hub. It is spaced to 120 rather than spread the frame on my Raleigh Twenty I was thinking of spacing the hub to 110 so that it fits exactly.

This would appear to be an easy job but there are always things to look out for. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Also where do you buy the nuts and spacers from?

much appreciated Gary

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I've just this minute finished re-spacing a screw-on geared hub for fixed. Not changed the OLN, just the relative left/right positions but I suppose same principles apply.

Surely you don't need EXTRA spacers to go down to 110 - just less or slimmer? Is it a cup and cone axle - or sealed bearings? If the former and nutted not Q/R, then only obstacle will be HUB width and getting thin enough lock nuts I think!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GaryGkn
    I need slimmer ones as the original ones are thick and look like one piece. Only got to take 5mm off each side.
  • GaryGkn
    Sealed hub.
  • Hello i have one of these hubs don't think you should have any problems as long as there is enough clearance between the sprocket and the frame, might be worth a mock up without any spacers to see how much clearance you have, you may be limited to what size sprockets you can use

Cf
  • GaryGkn
    Cheers custom freak that is a good point.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Although it's a cartridge bearing hub, it still has a fairly thick 'cone' on either side - you may have to get them turned down to reduce your OLN distance
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GaryGkn
    That is a bit more complicated than I thought. A job for the experienced pro! Not myself.
    I will see if the LBS can do it?