Race Etiquette Question

UncleFred
UncleFred Posts: 227
edited February 2008 in Pro race
Had the first race of the season yesterday, a 30 miler.

Started off OK, got some good breaks into a 15knot head wind and wore down a few of the closer guys that I was worried about, we hit the hills, which are short but very steep with bad surfaces, was in the front group going over. As we hit the turnaround point the sky opened up and it hammered down, resulted in a very slippery road with no grip on the climbs or descents so the 6 of us at the front agreed to neutralise until about 5 miles before the finish.

At the point where we'd agreed to start racing again, 2 guys attacked and got about 50 feet lead, I was at the head of the chase and we were gaining ground when one of the attacking guys went down on the wet road. I attacked and then the other guy who had led the first break (who is also an ex pro), blocked me, nearly forced me off my bike and insisted that the 4 of us in the chase pack slow down and wait. 2 of them did but I was reluctant as I knew I could win, after a lot of shouting I slowed, let them reform behind me, whilst I picked up the pace again until the faller caught us, to his credit he stayed on the back but when it came to the sprint I couldn't shake off the expro and the junior and they both passed me on the sprint.

I was really p'd off because I'd already dropped the junior and the ex pro's not on form and I would have been able to put in a big effort to drop him.

So here's the question, Would you have waited or would you have gone when the attacker fell? My view is that it was a racing crash and I shouldn't have been blocked.

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd have carried on.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Regarding the incident, you don't have to wait. The guy fell by himself. If some mistake on your part, or a freak accident, like a cat crossing the road etc, caused him to be delayed, then it would be a nice gesture to wait. But if he wiped out because he went too fast on the roads, that's his problem, no? But you live in a small place, the BVI, so what goes around comes around. If you get a bad reputation as Mr Win At All Costs, you'll never lose it.

Sounds to me like you didn't win not because you waited or not, but because the ex-pro and the junior got the better of you at the last minute though!
  • We're talking about some pissy little race in the middle of the ocean here, not a 300Km Pro-Tour event. Tell 'em to shove it next time!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I agree with off the back Adam, its a race. maybe be the other rider saw your potential to win, realised he didnt have the legs for a long finish but knew he would be able to manage the sprint. (Lot of games and rubbish said to put people off somentimes and expros can be shrewd & cunning) so many races are won and lost in peoples heads.
    Have a plan, and barring any major problems commit to it.
    I may sound like 'mr win at all costs' but i am not and others assess if you are a dirty rider on other aspects of your riding in my opinon. Everyone wants points on their licence dont they?
    Regarding ettiquette; I think it is reasonable to wait to keep a lead group together in the early stages, and if you are all working hard then it is a nice gesture to agree to share primes etc. When it comes to the final though all gloves are off.
    Next time out phase him, or just put your head down, Good luck :twisted:
  • Moose11
    Moose11 Posts: 235
    Yeah Id have kept going if I were you. Like some have said, if the fall was his mistake then thats his problem.

Sounds like the ex-pro knew your strength and used this as a way of keeping you back to beat you in the sprint. If anything a little dirty by him. Next time just keep going.
  • Would they have waited for you.I doubt it.Next time tell him to go forth and multiply,because for the rest of your racing days your going to regret not winning when you could/should have.I have the t shirt for being too nice.
  • We're talking about some pissy little race in the middle of the ocean here, not a 300Km Pro-Tour event. Tell 'em to shove it next time!

Hey, it's the only racing I get to do! :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont think you were obliged to wait. Maybe the pros may do it occasionally on some high profile incidences, but thats the exception.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I'd wait if there was quite a distance left and the fallen rider could contribute something to the situation. In the closing miles, if he falls all by himself, screw it. You can slow a bit so the guys that didn't fall can form up. By holding you back, the other rider not only stayed with you, but he made you mad. That tends to make you take up the pace in anger, while the calmer guy sits on you and passes you for the line.

As long as you don't clearly attack in response to a crash, I'd say you're in the clear.
  • "6 of us at the front agreed to neutralise"
    As a rule only the commisaire can neutralise the race and until he actual does this it is game on. It is like soccer you play the whistle.As soon as you let riders decide what happens next I think you get into these sticky situations - especially if you are in with an ex pro. But I think as long as you are riding safely (official rules) and not scrubbing (unofficial rules) then being over aggressive should not be a problem. Go for the win and ask for forgiveness later :-)