Bar End Lights

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I was driving home last week (I have to get my pressed shirts to work somehow) and followed a cyclist for a short while who had red LEDs in his bar ends (drop bars).

This struck me as a fantastic idea as his bike looked wider and that might mean the difference between a close shave and being knocked off!

Only trouble is I can't find them to buy, anybody know where I can get some?
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Well, pretty much a million places online!

There are wee ones which you can get for drops and mtb bars, and also slightly bigger/better ones (trek I think? could be wrong) that are mtb/flat bar specific.

Btw, today I saw a bloke with his back light clipped onto his back trouser pocket - it was dead visible; why hadn't I thought of that?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I've always wanted amber side lights in me bar ends, got bar ends that cover up the holes in the end now though so no good to me.
  • I've a smart 1/5 watt hanging of my rucksack but I doubt its visible behind the eye watering glare of my Dinotte rear.
  • Bar end lights, That sounds like a genius idea!

I have a cheap rear LED which I attached a velcro strap to, and this I put around my right ankle with the light facing rearwards, so now it's a wobbly red light, doesn't half get the motorists attention. I also use a standard fixed light on the bike, to keep it legal.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Orange side 'running lights' sounds sensible.

I might order up some LED's and have a go at home brewing them.
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • tardington
    Basic ones (red)

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products. ... 4s261p3359

There are ones which stick out more, they are red at the back, and amber (I think) at the front... If you go to the LBS in North Berwick, they have them!

These ones look a bit cooler though...
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 152c003244

Also I see you can get strappy light up ankle/arm bands? Wierd looking, but look visible...
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 152c003244
  • attica
    Thanks Tardie

I've been wearing a clip on light on my bum bag for ages, certainly makes an impression when you get out of the saddle (moving in relation to your seatpost mounted light) Cat Eye supply the clips with at least some of their rear lights.

I think I might well be getting some of the Trek lights although the ankle mounted LED is certainly a good idea - using all of these will make me look like a christmas tree on wheels though, maybe in December!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    In stock, slightly cheaper, and free postage too:

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP391.aspx?A=1

P391_250.jpg
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    chronyx wrote:
    Orange side 'running lights' sounds sensible.

I might order up some LED's and have a go at home brewing them.

I was going to write to Cat Eye and Suggest it, would love orange side lights.
  • I've had them on my tourer for over two years, and I'm not really impressed. I now only have one. :( The other fell out at a road crossing. They are too loose, and need drying out after rain. The switch mechanism is very poor - you just press the light in to start or move to flash, and the either don't go on, or they don't go off.

Nice idea :idea: but needs refinement. My other favourite bit of crap kit is the Air Zound. Both need to be developed and refined.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Not only that, but the spam - cough* - I mean link doesn't work either.

They do seem like a pretty good idea, though.
  • attica
    6 posts in 2 years, quite a workrate you got going there Phil.
    Also you've posted a link to MTBMonkey in four of those, the last of which you claim to have "found" the website - the same website you mention in your profile.

Incidentally that website appears to be down too.

Have you been too busy posting on here to pay your hosting fees?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Holy Sherlock Batman!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • attica
    Holy Sherlock Batman!
    Oops, Friday afternoon!

KapowW!!!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Gosh Bruce, yes, you're right. I'll practice harder from now on.

that's 7, only 2251 to go!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I guess there's been a deleted spam post. It'd be nice if the mods left a deleted post marker rather than just obliterating it as it looks like JT & Attica have had a bang on the head and are writing nonsense posts. not a biggy really but it narks me when I see it or get caught by it. thread going to be raised in the BR office section
  • tardington
    Ah I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd forgotten about this place!