Trek 1.7/ Focus cayo

Craigbes
Craigbes Posts: 74
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I'm looking to buy a new road bike. Ive had some good advice on a couple of other brands in the sub £1000 bracket but was wondering what those of you in the know think of the Trek 1.7 @ £800 or the Focus cayo @ £999. I'm 6' 2" & weigh 16.5 stone. I'm open to any advice.
Cheers all :lol:

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Not ridden either but there was a guy on a Focus carbon on CTC run today (I think he said last years model in "the sale" a few weeks ago). The frame quality seemed very nice. He's quite a big chap and he is very happy with it!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I recently bought an 07 Cayo in sale. Fantastic :D Great build quality. Superb frame. Great kit. Light. Fast. Handles well. I'm 5'9'' and 10st 7lbs.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    they are very different in geometry - the trek 1.7 has a higher head tube for comfort and is more like the giant SCR / Spesh Allez in geometry - the focus is mush more racy in it's built
  • I've just got A 2008 Focus Cayo and am made up with it - great frame and kit!

Was looking at the same Trek - but seduced by the carbon!
  • I've just bought a Cayo 08 and its amazing. The pictures do not do it any justice either. Easy choice if you ask me.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've got the 2007 Cayo and love it. For £999 it a bargain, plus it looks much nicer in the flesh than it does on the interweb!!
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    I got the 2007 Cayo Expert and it's a great bike, really pleased with it :D but I bought it last year for £1400 :(
  • go to a bike shop and test ride them both.

After riding ONLY then can you decide.
  • Eat My Dust
    go to a bike shop and test ride them both.

You can't test ride the Focus range as they're online only. I've bought 3 road bikes over the internet now and haven't had any problems with size/fit etc. If you do enough research on what you're after, you shouldn't be dissapointed and most mag reviews give the Cayo very good reviews with some of them giving 10 out of 10, which doesn't often happen.
  • I've just bought a Cayo 08 and its amazing. The pictures do not do it any justice either. Easy choice if you ask me.

True - it looks fantastic in the flesh - looks a bit dull on wiggle/focus.
  • go to a bike shop and test ride them both.

You can't test ride the Focus range as they're online only. I've bought 3 road bikes over the internet now and haven't had any problems with size/fit etc. If you do enough research on what you're after, you shouldn't be dissapointed and most mag reviews give the Cayo very good reviews with some of them giving 10 out of 10, which doesn't often happen.

Thats my point.

You have to test ride to judge if it is the bike for you Wiggle spend a fortune on advertising hence top reviews.

Remember you may not agree with the reviewer's opinion Thats the reason for test riding
  • Eat My Dust
    go to a bike shop and test ride them both.

Thats my point.

You have to test ride to judge if it is the bike for you Wiggle spend a fortune on advertising hence top reviews.

Remember you may not agree with the reviewer's opinion Thats the reason for test riding

That's a tad cynical isn't it?

With regard to reviewer's opinion. I've not heard a single bad word about the Focus range other than you might prefer a different saddle (which I did change).
  • Craigbes

Have you tried organising a Test Ride
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Mikey1280 wrote:
    Craigbes

Have you tried organising a Test Ride

I think the Wiggle 7 day test ride offer makes it a no brainer, thats a better test ride than you would get from any shop, and knowing Wiggle it will realy be as simple and no quibble as they say. You would be very hard pressed to find any bike of the quality and spec of the Cayo at that price in the shops.
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    Another thumbs up fpr the Focus from me, I have a Cayo Expert, had it 6 weeks now and its a fantastic machine. and I agree what people say about the look of the thing, even my other half said 'wow' and she barely knows one end of a bike from another.

Your in a win win situation buying one from Wiggle, if you dont like it then simply return it for a full refund. That to me shows confidence in a product if they are willing to let you have a weeks test riding. Thats what swayed me in the end, the fact that if I hated it I cold return it. Simple really.

As for people saying about Wiggle advertising and the reviews they receive for the Focus have you ever stopped to think maybe it is a fantastic value for money bike that deserves the top marks it recieves.