50 mile route from Bristol

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I'm in Bristol with work next week and will have some free time so thought I'd take my bike and hopefully get in a 50 odd mile ride.

I'll be in the Clifton area, and dont know Bristol and surroundings very well. I've just bought a ordance survey map of the area which should help.

Any advice on where to head and which roads are the nicest, easiest to navigate with minimal traffic? I had a look on bikely, but the routes look a bit complicated, and dont give an idea of what the route is like.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Around Bristol there is part of the National Cycleroute. The 'southern loop' used for Bristol's Biggest bike Ride is around 40 miles and bumpy too, espesially the climb up through Burrington Combe. Or you could do the whole circuit around Bristol, just tried to find details about the route online but failed :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • You could try a trip to the sea-side :D

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Br ... vedon-Loop

In words:- From Clifton head NW out under the Suspension Bridge on the east side of the
    Avon through Sea Mills to the B road through Shirehampton, join then cycle
    track alongside the M5 over the Avonmouth Bridge, turn south through
    Pill, Loadway, Easton in Gordano, Portbury, Clapton-in-Gordano, Clapton Wick,
    Clevedon, Clevedon Court, S to River Kenn, West End, Chelvey, Brockley,
    Brockley Combe, Downside, Lulsgate Bottom, Felton, Winford, Barrow Gurney, Long
    Ashton, Ashton Court, Clifton - 64 km / 40 miles

Enjoy your day out - Kirby
  • To the north is the Cotswold ridge. If you go out of Bristol via Almondsbury on the A38 and then onto Wotton under Edge. You could then head towards Slimbridge and onto Berkley, follow the flood plain towards Severn Beach and then back into the city.

Or get to Almondsbury and go over the old Severn Bridge on the cycle path and ride up to Monmouth.
    Please look at my handmade cycling cufflinks
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Clifton/A4 Portway through Avonmouth, coast road to old Severn Bridge. A466 past Chepstow race course to Tintern where you get the abbey, a few pubs and public loos.

Go early on a Sunday to avoid traffic.

Edited to add - that's a 50 mile round trip!
    If you do the coast road from Avonmouth to Aust, you'll fly along as usually the wind is behind you all the way, coming back is a different matter.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    redvee wrote:
    If you do the coast road from Avonmouth to Aust, you'll fly along as usually the wind is behind you all the way, coming back is a different matter.

Oh so true - yet not the last two weekends!
    Cycle to Bath on the Sustrans bike path?

Dunno how far that is, though, not knowing Brizzul that well?
    <font>I sig you not</font>
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Yeah, do the cyclepath there and back twice, nearly 50 miles of traffic free cycling apart from the 2 road crossings in Warmley. Best done on a sunny day when eveybody else is on the path, stops you going too fast :lol:
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I did this route below, but went to the Clevedon Sea front and went down to the Chew valley lake, total of 53.7 miles.

Was a nice ride on a nice clear and sunny, but cold day! It was much flatter than I expected.

I didn't realise until I checked the key on the map that this is part of the national cycle network, which made navigation easier!

I'll have to add another 10 mile loop in somewhere for next weeks trip!
    You could try a trip to the sea-side :D

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Br ... vedon-Loop

In words:- From Clifton head NW out under the Suspension Bridge on the east side of the
    Avon through Sea Mills to the B road through Shirehampton, join then cycle
    track alongside the M5 over the Avonmouth Bridge, turn south through
    Pill, Loadway, Easton in Gordano, Portbury, Clapton-in-Gordano, Clapton Wick,
    Clevedon, Clevedon Court, S to River Kenn, West End, Chelvey, Brockley,
    Brockley Combe, Downside, Lulsgate Bottom, Felton, Winford, Barrow Gurney, Long
    Ashton, Ashton Court, Clifton - 64 km / 40 miles

Enjoy your day out - Kirby