Any thoughts on roof bar cycle carriers

JKO
JKO Posts: 29
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I was proposing to carry my Planet X SL Carbon bike on a roof bar mounted carrier. Essentially the bike is clamped around the down tube.

However after reading that a carbon framed bike should not be held in a work stand by clamping the frame, I am now worried that clamping the down tube is also no no. This advice came from a recent Cycling + mag.

There would be quite a lot of stress in the area of the clamp and I suspect some movement due to being battered by the wind. Am I likely to snap the frame using this method ? and if this is the case, how do you carry your bike on your car when necessary.

Thanks for your help and advice

John

Comments

• Roof mounted carriers are the safest and most secure way to carry bikes.
    I've got the top of the range Thule carrier from about 5 years ago which clamps onto the down tube. The grip is adjustable and very secure without being vice like. I'm sure there won't be any issues with your carbon frame.

Roof mounting seems to be OK for these carbon framed bikes...
    wateringbury_support_470x300.jpg

It is worth measuring the total height of the car plus bike, writing it on a post-it note and sticking it somewhere obvious on the dashboard as a reminder.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Hi JKO

I've been wondering about getting a roof mounted carrier too. The one I've been considering is the Atera Giro AF from the Roofbox company. It looks pretty good to me and I've been very happy with the Atera roof bars I've been usingfor the last 6 months or so.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Ruffy
    Ruffy Posts: 15
    I have used the Atera Giro AF (have 4)for some time now and would highly recommend it. It is extremely secure and easy to use. The clamp should not damage your bike as it's very un-vice like.

Cheers.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I've been thinking of getting the Thule 561 Ourtride (see here: http://www.roofracks.co.uk/main/cycleracks_roof.htm - about half way down the page).

By taking the front wheel off, it seems more sturdy and also means low bridges shouldn't be such a problem!
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I've got a Thule 530 and did once overtighten the clamp and could see the downtube ovalising as I pushed the lever down. It was a cheap steel frame and no permanent damage was done but I doubt you'd get away with that on a carbon frame.

I'm sure it will be fine just so long as you take a bit more care than I did.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I prefer the Thule Velo-vise which clamps the fork dropouts - very secure. The only downside is that you have to fit the front wheels in the car unless you get a roof mounted wheel carrier as well.

+1 for the idea of writing a post-it note on your sun-visor. Easy and very costly to forget the bikes are there!

The other major downsides on roof carriers over towbar carriers is:
    - increased fuel consumption
    - squashed flies on the headtube etc (yuck)
  • Also worth bearing in mind that roof top carriers are a lot less efficient in terms of drag compared with rear mounted systems.

I used to have the Thule system but found my car ate petrol when on the motorway (used up to 30% more fuel on a 250 mile trip) and my acceleration was severely reduced. I switched to this and have never looked back:

http://www.saris.com/p-175-bones-3-bike.aspx
  • just don't forget the bikes are on the roof.
    i saw two beautiful bikes wrecked by some one driving under a barrier to get into a car park.
  • San Remo brackets.

http://velokit.co.uk/cart_productdetails.asp?PRODUCTID=900

Simple. Sturdy. Sleek. No complications.

Like me.

Spare front wheel can go on a wheel carrier

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/5203/groupID/1/categoryID/2/v/c64b4a2f-333e-4a82-860e-beedb892c59

or in the boot / passenger seat etc.
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    Do you really need to put them on the roof?
    If it's only one bike it might be safer, more secure and kinder to your bike (if it rains) to put it in the car with the front+/- back wheels off. Most hatchbacks do this easily with the back seat down.
    You'll get way better fuel economy too.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    carlmac88 wrote:
    Also worth bearing in mind that roof top carriers are a lot less efficient in terms of drag compared with rear mounted systems.

I used to have the Thule system but found my car ate petrol when on the motorway (used up to 30% more fuel on a 250 mile trip) and my acceleration was severely reduced. I switched to this and have never looked back:

http://www.saris.com/p-175-bones-3-bike.aspx

I always understood that roof top carriers were more aerodynamic. Long journeys to the South of France have always seemed to support that theory, Fuel consumption was always much higher with bikes on the back.
    One year I foolishly bought a device made from lycra. One end attached to the bottom of the forks and the other to the bars. It was designed to protect the headset area from driving rain.
    However it also acted as a sail, made the car extremely noisy and decimated the fuel consumption. Probably my worst cycling related purchase. :oops:
  • I always understood that roof top carriers were more aerodynamic.

Dunno, maybe it depends on the shape of car - I've got a hatchback and the rear carrier is a hell of a lot more efficient than when I had the Thule.

A trip back to the folks up north uses about £10 less petrol now.
  • Nuggs
    Bronzie wrote:
    - squashed flies on the headtube etc (yuck)
    Has any bright spark come up with an idea to sort out this problem (short of wrapping the bike in clingfilm)?
  • A vote for the San Remo roof carriers.

However, if there is anyone from San Remo reading, how about some stainless bolts you tight g*ts. After using them only a couple of times they look distinctly second hand.
  • Nuggs
    Bronzie wrote:
    I prefer the Thule Velo-vise which clamps the fork dropouts - very secure. The only downside is that you have to fit the front wheels in the car unless you get a roof mounted wheel carrier as well.
    I think the Velo-Vice has been replaced by the 561 Outride.

Has anyone had any issues with carbon forks in that type of clip?
  • Nuggs wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

Thule Velo Vise and Thule roof mounted wheel carriers, been all over europe with no probs. You will probable pick one up second hand..