North Wales

moeleilio
moeleilio Posts: 33
edited March 2008 in MTB beginners
Help out a new guy please

Where in North Wales can you?

Find a good xc trail for a newbie :twisted:

Find a good LBS, is west end cycles good?

Find some likeminded individuals to share a ride? :evil:

Thanks all

Comments

• llandegla is all i know about i'm afraid
    http://www.coedllandegla.com/
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    I'd say Llandegla is a good place to start. I wouldn't class myself much more than a novice really, but even i can cope with the Blue & Red trails at Llandegla.
    Haven't done the Black one though.

Bikeshop wise, although its not in North Wales, i use Edge Cycleworks in Chester.

where are you based?
  • We are going to Llandegla on the 2nd of March but we aren't sure which route to follow, we are novices but we have been out to places like Rivington and Gisburn Forest and the like.
    We don't want to get bored on routes like just fire roads, so is there anything interesting on the Blue beginners route? or is the Red one a bit more interesting?
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    All the routes follow the same start, with the green the first to leave the pack, the blue and red follow each other for quite sometime. black is only accessible via the red.

Depending on your skill/fitness level, i'd go for the red. A lot more variation on this one.
  • from what i've heard of you sparrow (not bad i swear!) i'd try the red if i were you.
  • i'm heading up to llandegla 2moro YAY! but my bike is broken so i'm gonna have to hire one... but then agian the bikes they hire are probably in better nick than mine...
    06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Yeah defo give the red a go, the black is pretty daunting with plenty of jumps, steep berms and the like.
  • the Blue is good and fairly tame however still enough to give you a giggle, the red a bit more challanging and the black, well in my opinion is a glorified red trail really (not too challanging). All are good fun though and the centre is great.
  • moeleilio
    lThanks for the replies so far, llandegla looks like the place, will have to look it up.

Im on Anglesey, so plenty of places i suppose.

Any good news on bike shops?
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    moeleilio

Coed Y Brenin in Dolgellau has excellent trails plus a good centre and bike shop. However, the trails in Llandegla are better suited to a newbie. Llandegla also has a good bike shop. West End Cycles in Colwyn bay is also quite a good shop.

SparrowLegs

Llandegla trails were closed this afternoon due to fallen trees and power lines. Will probably be open tomorrow but it might be worth giving them a call just incase.

Stu
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Stu,
    Thanks for the heads up!..i'll deffo ring before i go,if all else fails...coed y brenin might be a goer :D
    Cheers me dears , Caz x
  • ljb_home
    ljb_home Posts: 34
    hey moel eilio. I live at the bottom of that by the way!!

Theres a new bike shop in Bangor - revolution cycles, worth a look! good services aswell.

I agree with artillerydave on Llandegla, not too difficult. Good for beginners. Coed y Brenin's is good for improving, some tricky (rocky) bits though!

Marin - good but rocky, long and lots of roots. Do some other riding firat.

The new penmachno trails are great, alot smotther than most around this area.

I invested in the snowdonia bikefax book - although the maps are c**p, there are some good routes in there x
  • moeleilio
    Hi ljb_home, can I call you LJ for short! :lol:

where abouts do you live, Moel eilio is where I started to get fit again, and where I walk up for peace, and if I only have a couple of hours spare, might be able to take my bike around the bottom as well, if they are legite trails.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I will see you around there!
  • ljb_home
    ljb_home Posts: 34
    Hi Moeleilio,

I used to live in Llanberis but live in Cwm y Glo now.

There's a good ride which goes through telegraph valley. Have a look at the bike fax book. They sell it in VDiff x
  • moeleilio
    Thanks LJB,

Will do, someone else has also mentioned telegrapoh alley, and I have walked though there a couple of times.

Take it easy!
  • moeleilio
    Hi all,

I had my first proper ride on my shiny new Kraken today.

It was wet, sleeting, cold, and blummin flippin fantastic.

Cant believe I didnt get a proper bike years ago, was convinced that I had to run to get fit, but the hearts been pumpin today!

Couple of teething issues with the bike I will have to check out but a great ride!

Who else has been out today?