Cutting bike rack straps

paulswilliams2
paulswilliams2 Posts: 137
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I brought a Hollywood Elevator http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300001467&n=Hollywood%20F10%20Elevator%20High%203%20Bike%20Rack a while ago and I would like to cut the excess from the straps that secure the rack to the car. This is because I get annoyed in mid winter having to endlessly wrap the straps around to stop them flapping around.

I know this may limit its future use on different cars, but I am not really interested in this.

Therefore, the only thing stopping me is the possibility of a buckle failing, and the excess wrapping being the only thing keeping my trusty steed off the tarmac - at 70mph.

Anyone have any opinions or experience of this?

Comments

• If the excess bothers you put a thick rubber band round the strap before tying the bike down and the using it to keep the excess, which you should neatly fold, from flapping. Or use duct tape.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Get a "ladder lock"

Fastex%20Ladder%20Lock%20Buckle.jpg

Then undo the strap, pass through the lock and refit. Now bring the strap back through the lock, so that both straps rune exactly the same way.

A final return allows the end to come bak through the ladder firmly locking it in place. Now cut off the excess and heat seal the end.

It will not come loose.

(If I haven't made sense - tell me and I will tyr and rephrase....)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I'd imagine that if you have removed excess strap you would have warranty/insurance issues