Steering getting stuck???

Edwinsprint
Edwinsprint Posts: 66
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
TH esteering on my hardtail seems to jam a bit (only when stationary). With a nudge it will continue back to normal and then jam a few twists later.

Headset has not been serviced in the 4 years I have had it....

Is replacing the headset a LBS job? I've heard some unusual tools are needed??

Your advice please

Ed

Comments

• it sounds as though youre bearings are dead, just go to your LBS and ask/look if they have the right size bearings.
    alternatively get a new headset. you don't realy need special toolsto fit / remove a headset, just a rag to cover the frame, a hammer/mallet , a peice of wood and a long, blunt screwdriver. but if preffered it would be quicker and easier to ask your LBS to do it
    if you're not crashing, you're not trying.
  • i'd get your lbs to do it, because it isn;t really worth the risk of knackering a frame.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If its knackered the headset races anyway, try loosening the 2 bolts on the side of your stem and then rmoving the topcap with the 5mm bolt in the top. Lift off the stem and take off the bits of headset, remembering which order they were in. If you get attacked by about 100 pieces of metal, then its broken and an LBS job unless you wana put a new bearing in yourself and see if it hasnt damaged the race. If its all together still, try packing some new grease in there, then put it all back together and tension up the topcap bolt.
  • is worth regreasing before investing in new headset. (take stem and spacers off and bearings come out of the cups)
    Train hard, ride easy
  • I've reluctantly plumped for the LBS.

I'm normally good at doing everything else so I am going to treat myself!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    get a headset with catreidge bearings, that way when these die all you need to do is slip the fork out, replace the cartridges, rebiuld and your away.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    alternatively get a new headset. you don't realy need special toolsto fit / remove a headset, just a rag to cover the frame, a hammer/mallet , a peice of wood and a long, blunt screwdriver.

And risk seriously damaging your frame and fork.

Get your lbs to fit a new headset and make sure they face and ream the headtube, as it will ensure the headset races are parrallel to each other.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • my LBS can't ream out headtubes, is it really necessary?
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Not really, most headtubes will be very near the correct diameter. Reaming makes the headtube the correct diameter.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred