3/4 tights

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
What's the point of them?

this is a serious question I just don't see how they benefit you by staging shorts to longs
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I think it's a fashion thing. I used to like the way they showed off my calfs :oops: , but now that I have almost 30 mile round trip to work, I find them too hot and have changed to short shorts.
  • I've recently got some knee warmers that effectively convert my shorts to 3/4 and I think theres more too that length than just fashion. Full length tights can easily get too hot whilst having that bit of leg open to the elements just helps that little bit more in regulating the temperature.
    I would recomend knee warmers to give that length a try as I'm sure they'll come in useful
  • I have 1 pair of 3/4 and they're great, I have short, stocky legs (30") so for my waist size :oops: full tights are too long. they're great for shorties, but a fashion thing as well.
    I have whimpish calves so I nead all the help I can get!!
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    There's nothing new about them. They were popular years ago. When I first started commuting I used to wear tweed plusses and a greenspot jacket with long socks :). I found that when it got warmer the plusses and short socks were a good compromise which kept my knees warm.

When I did a bit of off-road exploring I felt happier with over the knee tights for the extra protection when/if I took a tumble. I'm going to get a pair soon; my wife thinks they're great.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Good for when it's to cold for shorts, but to warm for full tights... oh and they make your calves look 8) :oops:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The point? When it's too warm for longs and too cold for shorts! Ideal for autumn, spring and even winter rides when you start with leg warmers and it's warm enough to take them off in the afternoon. I've worn them down to freezing temperatures and with a decent pair of waterproof overshoes are probably better for racing in the rain that full tights as your calves don't get cold and the water just runs off.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I heard from an older cyclist at work that you should never show your knees before Easter(Easter knees he called it). Keep them covered up to April to avoid early injury that may be brought on by the cold weather. Dont know if there is any substance to this.
    Brian B.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Like Eatmydust says, at the moment there is a fashion aspect. And lookswise, I think they suit women particularly well. But from another angle, they (or knee warmers) are advisable for everyone in cold weather.

Joints (specifically the cartilage type stuff in them) prefer warmth (unless the joints are inflamed because of some illness, when coldness is better). The front side of thighs also ‘feel’ the cold more than the front side of calves (you can see this on runners in shorts in winter - their thighs are red with cold but their calves look normal). So if you cycle when it’s cold, ¾ tights or leg warmers are a good idea.

The belief behind the (likeable) term ‘Easter Knees’, which Brian B mentions, may well have some truth in it.
  • I have just read Andy Pruitt's "Complete medical guide for cyclists" and he recommends covering the knees in temperatures below 65F, which is around 18C - Easter Knees sounds about right to me.

I like 3/4 tights a lot - they are just perfect for those days when full tights are too much and shorts aren't enough. I didn't realise that they were in fashion, so I might have to stop wearing them now. :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I wore my 3/4s this morning. No problem with my legs in the sub-zero temperatures. Can't say the same about my hands though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • TheHatter wrote:
    I've recently got some knee warmers that effectively convert my shorts to 3/4 and I think theres more too that length than just fashion. Full length tights can easily get too hot whilst having that bit of leg open to the elements just helps that little bit more in regulating the temperature.
    I would recomend knee warmers to give that length a try as I'm sure they'll come in useful

Agree totally .
    Luke