Hi ... just started up again ...

musto_skiff
musto_skiff Posts: 394
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Just a note to say hello ... just got a road bike after a 15 year break.

Been on a few forums but this one seems to be best aligned with me and what I plan/hope to do.

There is a 10 mile TT course near my house and I guess seeing all those people out racing got me interested again.

I have brought a 2007 LeMond Zurich and a i-Magic trainer (unfortunatly the latter has had a fair amount of use due to the weather).

Done a few weekend rides and have already had my first fall (going too fast on a bend) :(

I probably will just ride for fitness and may join in on the local eveing 10 ...

regards,

Rick

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    It's quite nice round here, really.

Welcome!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Yeah ... I hung out on bikeforums.net for a while and I did learn quite a lot but they just seemed to argue the toss all the time (and they were of course all Americans, mainly).

I am not going to posta pic of my bike as I don't want any of the frame cracks or pinched rims pointed out :wink:

I'm off to have a thrash on the trainer now ...
  • I started again after 20 years, bought a secondhand Giant TCR off of Ebay and I'm loving it. My greatest achievement back then was going under the hour for a 25 mile TT which I'm sure isn't a big deal anymore, it definately was for me though. Anyway, having just bought a computer for the bike, the thought of averaging 25 miles/hour for 25 miles these days seems almost superhuman!
    Gonna try some club runs, audax and maybe one day another time trial or road race, well that's the aim anyway.
  • ... the thought of averaging 25 miles/hour for 25 miles these days seems almost superhuman!

I did some time trials 15 years back and I remember thinking all those "old" guys were winning through the stamina built up over years .... now I have the years it dosn't seem to ring true any more ...

I managed 26:46 on the Tacx for 10 miles - anyone know how that would translate onto the road?
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780

I managed 26:46 on the Tacx for 10 miles - anyone know how that would translate onto the road?

Depends what you had the resistance set to. It's very hard to compare road and turbo, you'd have to set the turbo resistance to be the same as that generated by wind resistance etc. at a given speed on the road.

I have an iMagic too and on mine (they vary too - each iMagic is a bit different) pedalling at around 93rpm with a resistance of 1.0 equates to about a 20mph average over an hour on my local flat-ish road circuit - that's by comparing average HRs between road and turbo.

I've never tried to take the road-turbo comparison further.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."