Please help me - Recommendations for a bike under £1000

Michael1981
Michael1981 Posts: 4
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hello, I'm new to road bikes so any advice would be very appreciated.

I have a budget of £1000 to buy a bike through my cycle to work scheme. I am a big MTB rider and have always purchased Specialized bikes in the past so woudl like to stay with them for a road bike. However, im open to ideas and views and what is the best value for money. Focus seems to be a popular make witrh my budget....

I would like a fast, light bike for 70 mile plus rides including triathlons and bike riding events.

Any advice is very welcomed.

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Focus Cayo or Planet X seem to be the popular suggestions...

Have a nosey using search, the £1000 question is asked almost every week :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It must be the most popular question.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Cheers, wasn't being lazy as I did search and read the other posts. I was just interested to know whether Specialized bikes are good value for money at this price compared to other brands. Cheers for the advice lads.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    You'll get a lot more bike for your money with PX or Focus than you'll ever get with Spesh.
  • I went from a Spesh Stumpjumper to a Spesh Allez a few years ago and liked the feel of it over the other bikes in the category because it had a bit of zing to it despite my weight and size. Compared to Cannondale, Bianchi and Trek it seemed you could chuck it about it a bit more, and it rode much more like the MTBs I've been used to(!)

Not sure you even have to spend as much as £1000... save some and upgrade your wheels later maybe...

I put Profile bars on the Allez for triathlon and its a great bike for this. It isn't much fun on some of the rougher surfaces on country roads but I only really got annoyed with this after riding my steel tourer a lot - but that's a different story. The mistake I made with my first road bike purchase which is not relevant to the manufacturer - for my weight and size and riding I should have got

1) the triple
    2) bigger tyres (for comfort and handling and punctures)
    3) rear wheel rebuilt immediately - lots of broken spokes (I think all manufacturers have pretty crppy wheels, even at this price point)

I know this is not sexy advice, but trust me, if your a big MTBer then I am sure it will work out for you.

good luck and enjoy!
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Bec_M
    Bec_M Posts: 10
    I got a the new Trek 1.9 through my C2W and it's fabulous - did 78 miles last weekend (first time I done such a distance) and the miles flew by.

I ummed and arrhhed between a Specialized and Trek for ages but decided I got more for my money with the Trek (higher groupset), than I would with Specialized.
  • Cheers Peeps for the advice
  • I got a 2007 Focus Cayo 2007 - fine bike had no problems with it so far and think its better value for money than anything Trek/Spesh/Cannondale can offer in that price range.