Fox RP3 problems

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought the Attack Trail off eBay a few weeks back and it has turned out to be a lovely looking bike but due to my ignorance of rear shocks I 'may' have a bit of a problem.

When I bought the bike it was supplied with a full service receipt from Mojo of Dec last year and it was the full works....

When I first rode the bike back from LBS there was about 50psi in the shock so being a newbie to rear suspension I thought it was broke. I phoned Mojo and bought a shock pump from them and pumped it up to xxx.

I have not been able to ride the bike since then but I just went down and leant on the rear end and it seems to have lost pressure just sitting in the hall!?!?!?!

Do air shocks need topping up all the time or something???

I just pumped it up a min ago and set the sag to 25%...

If it loses air again is it fu cked? Surely Mojo replaced the seals as they said so what's the deal here....

I don't have to top my fox RCLs up all the time and I haven't even ridden this yet.....

Please help, because the seller is about to have his fortune told if it is broke.... :evil:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    every time you connect the pump you lose pressure.

low volume high pressure.

set the sag, what is the pressure note it down. disconnect. reconnect what is the new pressure note it down, re set pressure to first noted. disconnect reconnect See a pattern.

normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So - you don't think it's faulty then?

Literally Nick - I set it about a week or so ago to 25% sag (roughly) and sat on the bike obviously and it was fine.

Due to crown race not being set yet (CK - as you know - work constraints etc) I have not taken it out so it has been sitting in the hall.

When I 'pumped' the rear a little while ago the sag went about 55%.... so I sat on it and it went to about 70% so I topped up the pressure to approx 240psi and as soon as I disconnected the pump it shot down to about 200psi

I can't see it being faulty if it has just been fully serviced by Mojo, and the seller said it will take a little while to adjust??

Also, on the bottom of my shock pump is a button (Fox) what is it for?

thanks Nick
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have done as i said? you need to know so then you can see if you are losing air over time with your pump. it is the ONLY way to check. (note only good for the pump you take the readings with)

button letting air out.

Sorry but Manual/packaging read.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • OK Nick wont do it tonight but tomorrow evening I shall take some notes down and get back to you on that one.........

thanks for help!