Bike maintanance

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all
was just looking at bike mechanic courses as basically i am unable to fix a puncture on my bike at the moment and am crap with anything else ect i have to take my bike to a guy just to change my rear wheel over at the moment which is a pain in the arse has anyone been on on of these courses are they worth while ect ????.
thanks

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Why not start with a copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance and see how you go with that?

I've had my nose stuck in the book for most of winter and have learned so much...
  • If it is just repairing a puncture you'd like to do, then I'd have a look around on the net (park tools website, youtube etc) for instructions on how to do it. Then, in the comfort of your own home, practise removing the wheel and changing a tube a few times. You only need a set of tyre levers and a spare tube to do this, and you'll be a lot happier when you're out and riding with the knowledge that you know what to do (don't forget to bring your spare tube, levers and pump with you when you do go out)

If you are then feeling more confident about tinkering with your bike, then maybe look at some courses. They'll go through basic care - eg checking the bike before you ride. Tthen you'll move to adjusting brakes and fine tuning gears. From this point, you'll then begin to look at taking bits and pieces apart. Having someone around to show you what to do, and being given the confidence to take something apart knowing that they can help you put it back together if you have problems is very handy.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    It's one of those things - just jump in and do it; when you eventually just think 'sod it, DIY' you'll wonder why you didn't before. Online hints and tips are great to cut out all the newbie mistakes that most people make when they jump in though ;)
  • volvine
    lol i tried the tyre change thing in the front room to put on a training tyre for my turbo trainer i went through 3 innertubes kept ripping them it was so tight so god help me if i'm out on the bike in the wind and rain on top of owd betts haha
  • Edinburgh Cycles run courses if this helps.

You are in need of dire help if you can't change a wheel I must say!!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    volvine wrote:
    lol i tried the tyre change thing in the front room to put on a training tyre for my turbo trainer i went through 3 innertubes kept ripping them it was so tight so god help me if i'm out on the bike in the wind and rain on top of owd betts haha

don't worry! I had exactly the same concerns. I put a turbo trainer tyre on and my arms ached for days afterwards. It took me well over an hour and I worried that if it took that long in the comfort of my own home, how was I going to cope in the conditions you describe. Well, I did get a puncture out on the road in howling wind and bloody awful rain and it took me about 15 minutes. I barely needed the tyre levers. Turbo trainer tyres are a different breed - so, so hard to fit on. The tyres on my road bike were piece of p!ss in comparison.

I vouch for the recommendations to look at videos on you-tube etc. That's what I used to guide me through my turbo tyre change.

Just like you, I would love to know more - I think I may just buy that book recommended above.
  • Would totally agree with Nuggs about Zinn. Crackin book . Then get in touch with some of your LBS and see if any of them run courses.
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • volvine
    thanks for all the replies guys/girls i will defo buy the said book to start with.
    when i said i couldn't change a wheel what i meant was the rear wheel and the change over of the cassette.
  • volvine
    just ordered my zinn book from amazon £5.99 will let you know how i get on
    cheers
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    also have a search on youtube for videos of people demonstrating how to do common maintenance jobs - some are very helpful
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Would really recommend the Edinburgh Bike Co-op one day courses. Cost is £45 for the full day including lunch. I did mine at their Newcastle store but I think they do them at all stores. The course covered

* Puncture repair: wheel removal, locating punctures, fixing punctures, wheel refitting.
    * Wheel truing
    * Brake adjustment
    * Stripping down and re-building hubs
    * Cassette removal and re-fitting
    * Gear adjustment: including fitting new cables and fine tuning front and rear mechanisms.
    * Bottom bracket and headset serviving.
    * Recommendations for routine bicycle servicing.

I spent some time looking at the Park tools site and the Campag site but found it was really useful having someone to show you what to do and help if you get stuck. Gave me loads of confidence. A few days after the course I was running round my garage with my forks in my hand!!! I would never have managed that without the course.

The other thing I would also recommend is a workstand. I picked up an EBC one in the sale for £49. You won't believe how much it helps even simple tasks like cleaning the bike. Much better than having it balanced against a wall.
  • When I wanted to learn, so that I would n't have to keep paying the shop, I bought an old dog of a bike on ebay, the Park Tools manual and a few tools.

I then just went through the thing and messed about changing cables, blocks, indexing splitting and joining the chain all the stuff that you may reasonably have to do.
    Eventually do that stuff without thinking, then started on stuff like headsets and BB's.

I now work in a LBS and have just started my own mobile servicing and repairs business.
    weight.png
  • volvine
    Good on ya SLIPKNOT JONNY sound good in theory but don't think my wife would approve of me having an old bike lying around i get enough greif about my current one lol.

the Edinburgh day course sounds the best option for me as i take in better when someone demonstrates i got Zinns book by the way looks very helpfu lindeed.
    cheers
  • Mike59
    Mike59 Posts: 1,170
    Nuggs wrote:
    Why not start with a copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance and see how you go with that?

I've had my nose stuck in the book for most of winter and have learned so much...
    Nuggs, where did you get hold of the book? I would like it, but can't find it anywhere.

Cheers
  • Mike59
    Mike59 Posts: 1,170
    Cheers, Volvine.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I reckon the best way to learn is to take one apart and put it back together etc.. I would go down to my local tip or recycling place and have a rumage arround for an old road bike.. you will probably find something that you can practice taking to bits and putting back together so you dont end up doing something to your own ride..

hope this advice has helped?

doobz
    cartoon.jpg