Race strategy - What's the best strategy?

RoseZella
RoseZella Posts: 18
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I competed in my first race last week and loved every minute of it. Was a criterium race, 45mins + 3 laps over a mostly flat course. Of about 40 starters, I came in around about 10th.

I feel that my fitness is at an ability to really challenge the placings for my next race although I'm not sure that my knowlegde of the sport is enough, and hence lack the strategy to challenge for a placing.

I learned from my race to try and stay out of the gutter and avoid getting boxed in, think this may have hindered me somewhat. I wasn't leading the race at any stage to take advantage of the slip streaming. There was also no break away groups in this race so the final sprint for the line was reasonably conjested.

What I'm keen to find out is any more hints or pointers to give me the best shot of a placing, or maybe even a win.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    It will depend to a large extent on the specifics of the circuit, but generally I'd suggest keeping within the first 10 riders or so if at all possible, but avoid getting doing too much work on the front. That way, if a break goes you are in a good position to try and join it. Also, the further back you are, the more the "concertina effect" of the bunch going in and out of corners will affect you, and the more you have to slow down and then accelerate again wasting energy. Keeping at the head of the race will take a lot of concentration and effort though.

Also depends on your own strengths as well. If you have a decent sprint, you can just sit in the wheels and wait for the final gallop, although this is obviously a very negative tactic, it's probably what most of the others who can sprint are planning to do! If you have no sprint, better get yourself in a break!

Learning to read a race and when to make your efforts is a complex subject, and one that I am far from mastering myself. :oops:
  • Thanks for your advice Bronzie, I am now moving on up the ranks after coming second on the weekend as a result of following your ideas.

A breakaway of 3 formed about 10 mins into the race which I joined. We lapped the rest of the field with 2 laps remianing.

Is there any more advice for a more competitive field????
  • Bronzie
    RoseZella wrote:
    Thanks for your advice Bronzie, I am now moving on up the ranks after coming second on the weekend as a result of following your ideas.
    OMG, I wish they'd work for me too............ :lol:
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Bronzie...you could be the next Johan Bruyneel!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie...you could be the next Johan Bruyneel!
    Should I take that as a compliment? :?

[BruyneelMode=ON]
    Now Rosezella, perhaps it's time to talk about your "preparation"..............mmmwaahahahahaaa
    [BruyneelMode=OFF]

:wink:
  • Bronzie
    edited February 2008
    RoseZella wrote:
    Is there any more advice for a more competitive field????
    Firstly, congratulations - fantastic that you are getting placings already.

Now on the proviso that I'm probably the last person in the world to comment on how to race at a higher level and seeing as nobody seems willing to offer you any advice, a few things come to mind..............

1. Use your strengths in a race - as I said before, if you can't sprint, you need to get into breaks. Again, also depends on the course - if you can climb, look for hilly races that you can use to your advantage. If not, stick to the flat or learn how to limit your losses on a climb (ie start the climb at the front of the bunch, not the back).

2. Don't be afraid of having a go - you've already found out that breaks can work well. Probably more at lower level races when an early break will be allowed to go because others in the bunch will be scared of committing too much too soon. At higher categories, the bunch will be more aggressive and breaks will frequently get brought back. This doesn't mean that you don't still have a go, but be prepared for your break efforts to fail as well. Have another go if you are able to. If you keep jumping away and getting into breaks, they will stay away on occasion.

3. Who are your opponents? - In a sucessful break your chances of a win are increased because there are less opponents. But you need to know what you are up against. Have you got a red-hot sprinter in the group? Bike racing is a pretty small sport and you will meet the same riders again and again. Keep a note of who wins and how so that when confronted with them in a break you know what their plan may be. Highlight any riders you consider in with a chance on the start sheet and remember their race numbers. If there is someone in the bunch you can't beat on an uphill finish, think about trying to get away solo in the final kms.

4. Know the course - Pre-ride it if at all possible and try and suss out a good place to attack - again think of your strengths. Is there a draggy climb you can surprise everyone else on? Or some tight bends that you can jump away just before knowing the big bunch will have to slow to negotiate? Remember, "out of sight is out of mind" - if the road twists and turns, you can put in a big effort and open a gap - on a straight road, the bunch will drag you back if they can see you.
  • Thanks again bronzie, I really appreciate your advice. I have been put up to c grade now (from d grade) with my first race on Sunday. I'll keep you posted on how I go, with any luck I'll have as much success as last time.
  • I read somewhere that to make a successful initial breakaway you have to be prepared to sprint for at least 200 meters to get away from the pack.
    Every winner has scars.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    HungryCol wrote:
    I read somewhere that to make a successful initial breakaway you have to be prepared to sprint for at least 200 meters to get away from the pack.
    Not really, it depends how fast the bunch is going.
    Also not every break is successful, it depends if anyone chases you or not.
    In theory every break can be caught as it is much easier for a group to share work than individual.
    So it depends on many things.
    Also if you"sprint" flat out, you will be caught soon as you will blow, so the break is made with just an increased effort but not too much as you have to recover and stay in front of the bunch.

It is also a bit easier if you are not known to anyone in th erace as they tend to chase known good riders down fast :D
  • Thanks oldwelshman. Am aware not every break is successful but I imagined that you're have put the hammer down to make a break from the bunch and once you're away keep the pace the same as the bunch you just broke from, harder without having others follow you to create a small breakaway group. This may also be why on some training runs you sprint periodical to the next lamppost, tree, etc, etc.
    Every winner has scars.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    HungryCol wrote:
    Thanks oldwelshman. Am aware not every break is successful but I imagined that you're have put the hammer down to make a break from the bunch and once you're away keep the pace the same as the bunch you just broke from, harder without having others follow you to create a small breakaway group. This may also be why on some training runs you sprint periodical to the next lamppost, tree, etc, etc.

Sprinting for lamposts,signs on training/club runs is just to practice sprinting, not making breaks.
    It is not difficult to break away from a bunch, it is quite easy, its staying away is the difficlut bit :D It is very hard to go same speed as the bunch because they have more people to share the work whereas you will be alone taking a buffering in the wind!!
    Hopefully when you try a couple of strong guys will join you in the break, then you share the work and have more of a chance to stay away.