Squeak in the Drivetrain

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
When i'm pedalling i'm hearing a squeak coming from the crank(?)

It's not the jockey wheels, I oiled them well!

It's not the pedals, I replaced them.

There is no squeaking when I freewheel and don't pedal.

There is no noise when i'm spinning the crank backwards (while freewheeling).

Any ideas how to stop the squeak?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check you bb.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelo
    How?

Its a shimano octalink on an '07 rockhopper. I've tried dripping some finish line wet lube onto the spindle between the crank and the frame but it doesn't make any difference. Am I going to have to take the crank arms off, chainwheels etc.?
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • steelo
    I've done that and it makes no noise with or without the chain when you spin the cranks. The noise happens when the cranks are spun under load. I can't spin them under load without the chain on!
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you can.

balance.

but it sounds like the bb or cranks could be lose or the bb reeds replacing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Take a really good look at the welds at the bb. Down tube, seat tube, chain stays. If there is even a slight crack, clicking and squeaking is going to be there. Look at all welds, at times, a problem in one place may sound like it's coming from somewhere else.

I had a seat tube do that to me on an old Diamondback Lakeside.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have a similar problem its my knees that squeak :(
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • steelo
    Took the bike into the LBS and they diagnosed a bottom bracket on its way out. Then they had a joke and tried selling me an upgrade to a carbon fibre chainset for £502!!! It was light mind you.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Had a similar problem where in whenever I pedaled something squeaked. After what
    seemed like years looking for it, it turned out to be the handlebar - stem connection.
    Just pedaling put just enough stress on the bar - stem to make it squeak. Bit of lube
    and it was over. Drove me mad.

Dennis Noward