Just bought a first road bike (PIC) updated

samsung17
samsung17 Posts: 13
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
total newbie to this sport but decided to buy a bike and give it a go. Here she is LeMond etape with michelin tyres also pedals i bought yet to be fitted.

74014780ac4.th.jpg

rgaw6.th.jpg

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    nice bike!

Welcome to the forum!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    looks cool man.. how much did you pick it up for?
    cartoon.jpg
  • cost me 400 from a LBS, though i think i got it pretty good as it was his last one of this model.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Enjoy! Looks like a great bike to get started on.
  • Looks great. Did you get any money off for the crack in the frame?
    Every winner has scars.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    HungryCol wrote:
    Looks great. Did you get any money off for the crack in the frame?
    I would certainly hope so. Looks like one of the tyres is pinched on the rim too...
  • newbie joke it take it!! :roll:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    samsung17 wrote:
    newbie joke it take it!! :roll:
    Aw come on - don't roll your eyes at us, we're only poking fun.

Hungry Col made me do it.

Actually - I really like the look of the bike. Lemonds look like quality bits of kit - I'm thinking of a Tourmalet for my wife (seems like a fair swap - BOOM BOOM - I'm here all week folks; try the veal)...

:)
  • Sorry couldn't resist :lol:

Lovely bike. Can go far wrong with Look pedals either.
    Every winner has scars.
  • pedals on now, cracking jokes fellas!! lol really. just done my first 2 rides, 16 miles the first day and 18 today. 14mpg avergae. is that slow or reasonable enough for a total beginner? and how long does it take for the saddle not to hurt ? :x
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    samsung17 wrote:
    pedals on now, cracking jokes fellas!! lol really. just done my first 2 rides, 16 miles the first day and 18 today. 14mpg avergae. is that slow or reasonable enough for a total beginner? and how long does it take for the saddle not to hurt ? :x

Welcome to the forum. It does look like a nice bike - good choice.
    Well, I think 14mpg average sounds pretty damn good for a total beginner. Saddle wise, I would expect it not to hurt after a week or so. Having said that, I did change my saddle a number of times before feeling that I had it right.
    Happy riding.
    :D
  • Nice bike bud ! Nice sticks in the background also, I'm a titleist man as well :D
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I tried to get an etape last year, but they had sold out everywhere i tried so had to settle for a tourmalet :wink: Mind £400 seems a brilliant price - well done. The only thing i found was that the seat, although very light, was not as comfortable as i had hoped, but £20 fixed that.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • pedals on now, cracking jokes fellas!! lol really. just done my first 2 rides, 16 miles the first day and 18 today. 14mpg avergae. is that slow or reasonable enough for a total beginner? and how long does it take for the saddle not to hurt ?

MPG?? Miles per gallon?[/quote]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sweet. I had an '86 TREK 760 ten years ago that was the bomb. Had those shift levers that were SunTour/Shimano adjustable as well as fully friction. Man, enjoy. I was street 30 years before I started off road.

I would swallow red lithium to have another rig like that.
  • lol mph obviously, the sticks are mizuno mate , mx25 forged!!
  • and can anyone reccomend a saddle if this one doesnt get any nicer :oops:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    samsung17 wrote:
    and can anyone reccomend a saddle if this one doesnt get any nicer :oops:

Selle Italia Flite
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    samsung17 wrote:

Trouble with saddles is what one person finds comfy, another may not...

After months and several saddles I've finally found what I class as a comfy saddle, Selle Italia C2 Gel. The correct position is also vital in getting comfy...
  • saddle seems to be getting better, out today for 5 miles and quite comfy, although not a long run it does show that it prob was just getting used to a road bike. now i need some clothing, all i have now is shorts , can anyone reccommend some gear and exactly what should i be buying for the time of year??

some nice team jerseys would be the ticket , where could i pick these up at reasonable money
  • Hi samsung

I find that if I regularly get up off the saddle for the first half an hour of a ride, and then occasionally thereafterwards it makes a big difference to my posterior comfort. Having said that, after many years of riding I tried a Fizik Arione saddle and now I rarely get saddle problems these days. Also you may find, depending on your weight, that you don't need to inflate your tyres to their recommended max. It's surprising how much extra comfort can be achieved by a little lower inflation of your tyres.

Like the Lemond/paint job on your bike by the way. It has a nice timeless/slightly retro look.

little update with the pedals on , also reversed the stem to make it slightly easier on the arms, felt a little low the other way
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    samsung17 wrote:
    I found THIS in my LBS for £20 and it is massively more comfortable than the bontrager seat that was on my lemond :D
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.