Chain cleaning machines

chas38
chas38 Posts: 65
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi

has anyone any experience with chain cleaning machines? I'm looking at a few on wiggles's site - they all look fairly similar and only seem to vary in price. Is there one particular brand thats tried and tested and would be a better buy over the others?

thanks

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    The Park Tools one seems to be the most recommended.

To be honest, I find them all a bit fiddly and just use degreaser, a brush and a hose.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I find the best way is to use a 'missing link' type connector in the chain. You can then remove the chain in seconds, put it in a bottle of degreaser and give it a shake. Comes out sparkling. You need to thouroughly lube it afterwards though.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Garybee wrote:
    I find the best way is to use a 'missing link' type connector in the chain. You can then remove the chain in seconds, put it in a bottle of degreaser and give it a shake. Comes out sparkling. You need to thouroughly lube it afterwards though.

This is what I do. I've got one of the chain cleaning machines though, but all it did was slop degreaser everywhere. Less messy doing it Garybee's way.

Just make sure you lube every pin after.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • chas38
    thanks for your views - fancy gadgets just can't beat a bit of elbow grease eh?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    chas38 wrote:
    thanks for your views - fancy gadgets just can't beat a bit of elbow grease eh?

It's harder and messier work with the cleaning machine. It's easier taking the chain off, chucking it in a jar with degreaser, shaking it about, let it dry, then relube it.

I found that the cleaning machine didn't really do a good enough job anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I have the brand x one from Chainreaction cycles. It's great for my mountain bike where the chain gets muddy and gritty but not as useful for the roadbike that rarely need the chain cleaning.

I'd spend money on SRAM chains and powerlinks so that the chain can be easily removed and cleaned that way.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Waste of money and little use. For the expert opinion, read this -

http://www.kmcchain.com.tw/index.php?ln=en&fn=service#3
  • chas38
    Thanks for all your advice and Smokin Joe that is a very informative site that you recommended

cheers
  • I used to use a chain cleaner. If after thoroughly cleaning your chain with a chain cleaner, you remove the missing link and inspect it, you will find that the inside of the chain is still full of dirty degreaser. If you then re-lube your chain the best you will have is a mixture of lube and de-greaser.

I have started to clean just the outside of the chain with WD 40 sprayed on a rag, clean sprockets and rings in the same way then re-lube the chain. Yor chain will then be lubed with a mixture of clean and dirty lube, which is better than clean lube and dirty de-greaser!

I dont yet know if this method works in the long term, but it is easier, cheaper, quicker, cleaner and greener than using a chain cleaner.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    Removing the chain for cleaning is the best method (IMHO), 2-3 soaking/shaking procedures in new solvents; then drying and re-lubing worked best for me. I tried the wax methods but didn't like it. A few years ago, I found a Sonic Cleaner on sale (4"D x 5"W x 5"L basket) and that's the way to go...cogs and chain are spotless with this method....even the Alum. spacers shine :)
    Cajun
  • I reckon Sheldon had it about right here:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html :lol:
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I reckon Sheldon had it about right here:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html :lol:

I needed a laugh today and that hit the spot! Thank you.

:lol::lol::lol:

While you're there, check out the "Real Man Saddles", too.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    The Real MAN saddle had me in stitches! :lol:
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'