Cycling shorts AND undershorts.

Do you wear one or the other?

Or both?

Is too much padding a bad thing?
Tarpaullynn

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Cycling shorts only for me, as far as I know thats the way they are meant to be used. Lycra moves well with the skin, having another material underneath may cause issues with the lycra riding or the material underneath bunching, and all sorts of chaffing issues.
  • One or the other but not both, as DavidTQ says padded cycling shorts are supposed to be worn next to the skin, padded undershorts are for use with non cycling clothing i.e. regular shorts etc to give a bit of padding in those situations where regular cycling shorts aren't appropriate.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Never both, just the cycle shorts and "commando" underneath. Otherwise
    severe friction will follow............ouch!!

"He-e-e-e-re's Johnnie...!"
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    both for me - esp if a bit on the chilly side. no problems with friction if using half way decent clothing.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Both for me when doing long-distance stuff, with optional long tights/baselayer leggings (without pad) in-between if cold. If you're in the saddle for 150 miles plus a day for several days in a row then I reckon you need all the padding you can get!

a serious case of small cogs
  • So its fair to say we're split on this? :lol:
    Tarpaullynn
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    ordinary underpants with padded cycling tights over and braces to keep them up :lol:
    never any problems or discomfort, means that i can wear my cycling tights 2 or 3 three days running rather than washing them every time.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    erk. You stinker. Never wear undershorts and always wash your cycling knicks.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Both. Easier to wash out and dry a pair of y fronts. Especially if you are away from home. No problems with friction etc and you keep yourself clean. A lot of sweaty stinky you can soak into a thick pad that is not easy to get out on a quick wash.
    Jim
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    One or the other definitely not both. God no. If you had experience of chafing you wouldn't be asking this!