Lemond road bikes

Bristol Exile
Bristol Exile Posts: 95
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Anyone got any comments on Lemond road bikes?

I'm looking at a 2007 Chambrey which has Alu and Carbon mix frame but just interested if anyone has got one or ridden one regularly

I'd use it for Timetrials and sunday posing
cheers

Comments

• Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    I'm picking up my Lemond Filmore fixed next week, I'll let you know!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I have a Lemond Tourmalet, and am very pleased with it. 800 miles since last may and no problems :D
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Ashley_R wrote:
    I'm picking up my Lemond Filmore fixed next week, I'll let you know!

Hi Ashley, is the fillmore a fixie, where are you getting it from?
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I always wanted a bike like Greg Lemond's when I was a boy watching the tour.......

Now I'm in the market for a new bike maybe I can have a Lemond, but as the question asks, are they actually any good?!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Bear in mind that there is no such thing as a Lemond bike, or a Colnago or a Trek or any other make you can name for that matter. Bike "Manufacturers" are only frame builders, everything else is sourced from componant makers such as Campag and Shimano.

Assuming the groupset and the rest of the kit is what you require the question to ask is, does anyone have a Lemond frame and are there any reasons why it might be a good or bad buy?

I've never ridden one myself, but if the price and weight are what you want and the frame size and geometry suit I would go for it unless somebody can give you a reason not to. In my experience there is an awful lot of tosh talked about different makes of frame, apart from the obvious difference in the materials they are made from they are all pretty much of a muchness.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    In the US, Lemond frames are regarded as a Supreme frame; quality. I would think that any big name rider (i.e., Merckx, Lemond) would only put their name on a frame that would be equal to, or superior to the better known frames.
    Cajun
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I have a 55cm 04 Lemond Buenos Aires - their previous frame generation, so the Steel-Carbon combination.

It's been a good bike for sportives and such like - it's fairly relaxed seat angle and long top tube for its size and pretty steady handling. So that geom is by no means the sharpest handling race bike you'll find, but is smooth and steady.

I haven't ridden the alu/carbons or carbon Triomphe series frames, but the geo looks the same as mine, but a fair bitlighter. They'd be worth a try, IMO, and I think you'll see a noticeable difference in the ride and position from other brands (less so if you're looking at sportive type bikes) so you should be able to decide whether it's right for you or not.

I'm looking to buy my next bike now and I suppose moving on from the Lemond, I'd be looking for a smidge shorter reach (just 5mm or so), just slightly sharper handling, and as smooth a ride as I can find.
  • A Lemond Tourmalet made it to the 'final' in my quest for a Cycle2Work bike. I test rode it quite hard and liked it a lot, but when push came to shove liked the way my Orbea rode better. Lemond are basically pimped up Treks, which is no bad thing. I think the paintjobs on the frames are awesome too. Check out the very subtle glitter in the finish!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "I would think that any big name rider (i.e., Merckx, Lemond) would only put their name on a frame that would be equal to, or superior to the better known frames."

"Names" don't BUILD bikes (tho' possibly Merckx did at one time?). Most will put their names on the bikes put together by whosoever pays 'em the biggest percentage!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I have a Lemond Chambrey and love it.
    Ive used it on a couple of Sportives (tour of wessex) and club rides and commute - its proved itself to be comfortble all dayer, with some get up and go when you ask it.
    Frame has also proved itself to be robust, as I am 105kgs, and it hasnt buckled yet!
    Plus, it looks pretty dammned sweet
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    meagain wrote:
    "I would think that any big name rider (i.e., Merckx, Lemond) would only put their name on a frame that would be equal to, or superior to the better known frames."

"Names" don't BUILD bikes (tho' possibly Merckx did at one time?). Most will put their names on the bikes put together by whosoever pays 'em the biggest percentage!

Some "names" are still involved with their brands and some not. Often they were there at the start and then sold on the company at the appropriate time. Lemond are a Trek company more or less - just as Gary Fisher and Klein are - but the frames are different to anything that is Trek branded. Not better or worse, just different.

I'd observe that the biggest "names" in road bikes IMO are De Rosa and Colnago. They both have the ageing founder on board and both made their names as frame builders rather than as riders.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    There's a Ti Lemond (tho' I doubt he built it!) just come up on th'bay that might go for a "good" price!

Not mine etc!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I have a 2007 Lemond Zurich; I don't know much about modern bikes but this one feels great ... very happy with it but not many mile on yet.