are women's specific bikes better (for women)?

PutneyJoe
PutneyJoe Posts: 242
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, a female friend of mine is after buying a road bike, and I've been cast in the role of advisor. I'm wondering if I should go for a women's specific model or not. It seems women's specific seems to mean triple as standard and a different saddle, but what about the different frame? Is it worth it? On the downside it seems you pay more for it - e.g. only alumium in the price range if W.S. but carbon if not...
any views appreciated... thanks
Joe

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    no
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    I think she should consider both men and women’s bikes, as everybody is a different size and shape it is best to try a few and see what she finds comfy. Typically the ratio between torso and leg length (shorter backs) is different for women (though not always) and some women specific bikes take this into account. Also women, again typically, have smaller hands so reach for the breaks, gears and depth of drops is another consideration. This can be resolved with woman’s specific bars and and/or shims for sti levers. I am only 5ft 3" and have a men’s road bike but my local bike shop swapped the bars and saddle for women’s ones and gave me a shorter stem for no extra cost.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I'm no expert but from what I've read, women's frames may have shorters stems, narrower handle bars (to accommodate narrower shoulders), and break levers which are easier to operate with smaller hands. Women tend to have longer legs in proportion to their overall size and the frame geometry reflects that.

I've also read that women's frames will not suit all women. I'm one of those - bigger than the average bloke with massive shoulders and hands like shovels! :D

I do buy a women's saddle though - selle italia lady, I think it's called.

I guess going to the shop and trying womens/mens bikes would be the way forward. Good luck - ahhh, the responsibility of helping someone choose their bike :)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yers and no, it depends on the woman.

As mentioned above, they may have shorter top tubes and / or stems, smaller diameter grips or handlebars, shorter reach brakes, sometimes shorter cranks, women shaped seats, and on bikes with suspension, sometimes the forks are versions for lighter weight riders. Oh, and some are cosmetically different to match the perceived femenine aesthetic(!!!). Overall fit of a bike should be a priority over any one of these features, but for some women these bikes will work great whereas a mens bike involves compromise, for other women a mans bike will fit better.

A mens bike could also be modified to some extent with a shorter stem, shorter cranks, and brake reach may be adjustable, or new levers installed, and a more favourable seat fitted.

My regular touring buddy (female) went to buy a womens specific model but found the mens version fitted better.

So suck it and see (if I can put it that way).
  • I'm 5ft 3in and ride a men's bianchi as it was the closet fit to the bikefitting.com thingy. I would always advise a proper bike fit, i've not had one problem with the fit and was comfortable from the minute i got on. My LBS did fit a ladies saddle though!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    IIRC Giant's SCR bikes use the same frame dimensions for women's and men's range, though women's go one size smaller (link).

Trek have their WSD range but I've no idea of any differences vs the men's bikes. Specialized cliam "from the saddle right down to the cranks, they either design or hand pick every critical component to fit female riders."

Don't take the marketing blurb at face value. Visiting a good shop (or more than one) would help, and trying different brands is a must.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Trek WSD have various differences depending on whether road or mtb, including thinner grips, different frame geometry, smaller frame sizes, shorter reach brakes, shorter cranks, womens seats, and suspension tuned for lighter weight.
  • Here are a couiple of items specifically about women and bike fitting:
    http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/pdf%20fin ... issues.pdf
    http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/pdf%20fin ... issues.pdf

Apart from saddles, frame dimensions etc, there are other things to consider like reach to brake levers, which is often too far for smaller hands.
  • What are a few good womens' saddle choices?
    I'm looking for something equivalent to an SLR XP in terms of quality/price, for my female clients...
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    my female clients...
    You make it sound so sordid :wink: