Toe Clips..... make a comeback ??

everogere
everogere Posts: 68
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
I have been a cyclist on and off for 40 years but on my latest return to this activity two years ago I find that many things have changed: alloy frames, disc brakes, and cycle computers to name but a few. But the most noticeable must be the use of clipless pedal systems. I was a little apprehensive about trying them but I was assured by many cycling friends that this ‘was the way to go’ !
I have used a spd clipless pedal for the last two years and although I can see the advantages if you race or compete in any form, neither of which I do, I have never really felt safe or secure using them. Always fearing a fall and constantly preparing to unclip which dulled the experience of a leisurely ride through the countryside. I therefore made the decision two days ago to return to toe clips and straps.
What a difference, my confidence and enjoyment of this marvellous sport has returned and I feel comfortable and unconcerned about falling or getting my feet back on the ground. So come on, let’s make a come back for toe clips and straps. If you feel like I did don’t be swayed by the majority change back, may even be able to start a forum for us ‘Clippies’ or ‘Strappers’.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I'm glad you saw the light, for you, but I absolutely HATE clips and straps, I have to flip the pedal (often unsuccessfuly) and set off with them scraping the floor. In use they are less secure unless I tighten the strap, but then I have to remember to loosen it when stopping. In my view they are more dangerous and I have got in more tangles and scrapes with them, but then I seem to have adapted perfectly to spd's, they are a god send IMHO. (I remember in my earlier years discussing how mad it was to clip your shoes directly to your pedals....so I wasn't an instant convert).

I think the key to success with spd's is perfect cleat setup so engagement happens automatically as the cleat is in just the natural place for the foot fall. Other issues are shoes with a decent cutout around the cleat, and quality pedals with the tension set right.

But its horses for courses, and what works best for you, is best for you!
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    In total agreement with 'alfablue'... I had more 'pullouts' with the toe clips, not to mention numb toes.... SPDs (IMHO) either work great or are a pain in the @rse... I tried several brands, also thinking that the 2-sided pedal systems were the way to go...but when you unexpectantly pull out, or can't pull out, or clip in, which side gets the correction? you correct one side, but un-correct (??) the other.. Nothing like making your HRM max-out after you've stood up to attack or sprint a small incline and find yourself unclipped and your body has slammed against the bars :x . I chose to go with Speedplay X2 (S.S) and have never looked back; instant clip-in/out when desired, and never undesired....lots of bikers choose LOOKS, although I've never tried them.. The downside of Speedplays, is that the cleats pickup everything but women... a walk in small gravel or sandy areas is strictly a NO-NO!!
    Cajun
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Toe clips will definately make a comeback just as soon as pedal makers come up with
    "the next great, must have, thing" that looks a bit different than the old toe clips and,
    of course, is much better than clipless because of the blah, blah, blah,........
    Just like clipless was better than toe clips because of the blah, blah, blah,.....

Dennis Noward
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If your cycling vocabulary includes words such as "max" and "HRM" then undoubtedly clipless is the way to go but for those of us who like to Just Ride Along, toe clips are ideal.
    I never tighten the straps, have never pulled out, scrape my pedal about once/month and they are still working. Ive climbed some major passes in the Alpes and Pyrennees and explored plenty of tracks and trails using toe clips on the end of my bike.
    It is good to see that MKS are still making quality pedals and metal clips. You can find leather straps which seem to hold their shape much better than nylon ones.
    Clippies Rule.
  • I find that it depends on the route u take

I prefer toe clips for inner city areas when u have to keep having to stop and start
    And down a country lane i understand ur point
    But i love being able to pull up on the pedals as well as being able to push down - feels much better when sprinting and climbing hills.
  • Thanks for your support and comments all very helpful. I must say I have had one fall using both clips and clipless. The clipped fall was whilst on a track and strapped in tightly. On stopping I somehow leaned the wrong way and ended up on the floor rather than holding onto the outside rail. The clipless was on a cycle track when a elderly lady came the oposite direction around a sharp blind bend on the wrong side of the path and although I manged to stop before we collided I forgot I was clipped in and in a panic twisted my foot the wrong way, same result, on the floor!!
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    If your straps are done up tightly enough to be of use you won't come out of 'clips and straps' in a fall. You'll probably release from clipless pedals though.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I hope clips and straps don't disappear altogether. Toe straps (plus Duct Tape and tie-wraps) are what hold my world together in times of adversity.

There's no way I'd go back to them for cycling though. Perhaps if I were cycling gently in a flat urban environment then I might manage without either for utility riding. Other than that, I'll stay with the SPDs I've been using since they were introduced. Never had any problems with releasing them; I've had problems with clips though when a tatty pair of over shoes became entangled in them - very embarrassing :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    I am one of the converted from straps to clipless.. they both have their advantages, it really depends what you're using them for?

For example, every day when i commute to work, I have to wear shoes, and therefore, I cannot clip my shoes in. This means they are just standard pedals with no strap which can be slightly annoying, and a bit dangerous if I have to get up.

However anything else, I jsut HAVE to wear clipless. as I love the fact I can pull AND push my legs in order to gain acceleration, speed etc.. It just did not seem to be effective trying this with clipless.

As for the fear of falling off with clipless, I cant honestly say that fear is there. Ive gone about half a year with clipless now (granted i've not used them THAT much yet), and have had no falls, neither no fear or falling.

Probably because when I commute with my normal shoes, I always twist my foot sideways as "good practice". Therefore when I do need to get my foot out with clipless, I will be prepared and will move my foot the right way ;)
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    My road bike came with toeclips and from that September till my birthday in the January I used them. I did however start to suffer with seriously numb toes on long rides. I also had a couple of incidents at traffic lights where I had real bother getting my foot out and came close to keeling over. :oops:

For my birthday of that year I went clipless with Shimano double-sided SPD's and haven't looked back. I've also stuck them on my MTB and when I get my new bike it'll be getting M540's on it too.

I also like the MTB shoes. I've heard and read there's benefits to "proper" road shoes but I like the fact that I can walk in the MTB shoes to a greater extent.
    Sometimes when I get an unsanctioned, involuntary release of air from a tyre or two I'd rather push the bike home and fix it at my lesuire with a nice bottle of Taylor's Landlord than fanny on at the roadside.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I like the fact that I can walk in the MTB shoes to a greater extent.
    Sometimes when I get an unsanctioned, involuntary release of air from a tyre or two I'd rather push the bike home and fix it at my lesuire with a nice bottle of Taylor's Landlord than fanny on at the roadside.

I think I'd rather repair a puncture at the roadside than walk 10 or 20 miles (or much more) in any sort of shoe.

I once hit something on the road in the dark which punctured both tyres. I didn't bother fixing them on the spot because I was, fortunately, only about 25 metres from home :) but usually ...

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Oh hell, 10 or 20 miles is a definite no no.
    I once tried to walk 7-8 miles home on a lovely summers day and as well as probably causing some damage to my rims I ripped my right heal to shreds. I was wearing Compeed Blister Gel patches for more than 3 weeks after that escapade.

I'm thinking of five miles or less from home. I've been pretty fortunate in that most of my punctures have occured within this sort of distance from home. But the MTB shoes have at least given me the option. I've seen the ice skaters in their road shoes trying to walk and it doesn't look much fun.

I've also benefitted from a fairly good service car. :lol:
    Either a pick me up and take me home job or dad has been good enough to bring me a replacement wheel.
  • Well I had toe clips on my track bike until recently when I decided to give sprints and track TTs a miss and concentrate on pursuit and points racing. So it's not just the JRA crowd that use 'em. A lot of trackies, esp sprinters use them too (although we do use very secure leather straps to give a level of security not possible with cleats alone).

pict2775.jpg

One big advantage of using clipless is the large range of cycling specific shoes available, which are made to support the feet really well during rides.

You can always learn to track stand. :wink:
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    I hope clips and straps don't disappear altogether. Toe straps (plus Duct Tape and tie-wraps) are what hold my world together in times of adversity.
    Geoff

Me too! The humble toe strap is a wonderful thing. Holds all sorts of stuff to my saddlebag! I agree that SPD's (are in my case Eggbeaters) are the way forward though. I can't imagine ever strapping my cleated feet down on pedal again - there really was no way out in the event of a crash.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Garybee wrote:
    If your straps are done up tightly enough to be of use you won't come out of 'clips and straps' in a fall. You'll probably release from clipless pedals though.
    Thats not my experience.
    I once crashed in a race years ago and the straps snapped!! Good job really as I hit a fence :(
    Secondly I came of on icy road recently and slid for about 20 metres still clipped in!!
    Also had a little tumble on track and remained clipped in!!
    Personally I do use clipless but I do not believe for one minute they are any safer and in fact they are probably a lot worse for your leg, especially knee (medial cartlidge) as you have to rotate your foot with leg straight to unclip putting pressure on knees, anyone with cartlidge problems will know this is the worst movement you can do for stressing cartlidge.