slimming down

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited February 2008 in Road beginners
Does anyone know the best way to slim down the gut and chest area? sit in a sauna/steam room for half an hour or run or what?
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• Lipo Suction.
    I don't think you spot burn fat by excercise can you? Just got to reduce your body fat percentage by boring old excercise and diet.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    'fraid not - spt fat reduction is not possible - just plain old "eat less - mover more" is the thing for you.

try and evaluate what you are eating in a typical week / fortnight / month - keep a diary of everything that you eat for a few weeks (longer if you can keep it going) you will see somethings that stand out. There will be things that crop up as calorie monsters and you will think to yourself - "that meal, although I like it, is not worth those calories..." and you'll change ..
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    join a local gym and do a 40 minute spinning class twice a week. You'll burn off approx 300 calories per intense 40 min session. When you realise that all that work ,sweat and pain has only burnt off just one choc bar or burger :shock: :shock: you start to look at junk food differantly from that moment onwards :wink:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Although the loading of fat on the body concentrates in certain areas, the losing of fat is apparently even across the body. Thus, for example, working on your abdominals will not give you a six pack with wafer thin skin over them while leaving other areas fat. It simply doesn't work that way. The only answer is to either not put the fat on in the first place or to work it all off through appropriate diet and exercise.
  • hothead
    hothead Posts: 123
    I have lost 1 Stone in four weeks, the difference on the bike is amazing. The way I did it was use Weight Watchers points system and turbo sessions 2/3 times a week. All those years of laughing at the wife and mother on WW and now i am in the gang! :oops:
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Eat decent food, ride you bike and burn off more calories than you consume....
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Lost a stone and a half since new year, no beer was my main sacrifice, my god did that fisrt pint taste good last week!

Simple equation of less in, more out is only way, get peddling!!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    While you can't spot burn fat you can do excercises to tone and build muscle in areas. This will often give the impression of slimming down.

Fairly basic excersices (crunches and pressups) will be good for abs and chest.

Menshealth.co.uk is a good source of info for excercises.

Other than that, eat less and/or do more excercise. A sauna or steamroom will only make you sweat and lose liquid. You'll put that back in a few hours when you have a drink.
  • Beardo
    Beardo Posts: 13
    You CANT "tone" a muscle.

Your correct in the fact loosing fat gives the illusion of looking bigger.

As a friend told me "increase input - increase output"

All the info you need here www.muscletalk.co.uk yes its based at bodybuilders but also endurance athletes.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi if you are looking for a few tips or a little inspiration then read the posting, First Century by GUINEA. iF anyone is in a position to help you with your problem, he can. Good luck Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • whats spot burning fat?
    felix's bike

• webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    if you ride first thing in the morning, before breakfast, you will encourage your body to burn off body fat rather than use energy entering the blood from your stomach. Saw it in the new cycling plus magazine.

I also agree with the gym thing... not tried it myself but seriously thinking about it!
  • gkerr4
    whats spot burning fat?

spot burning - as it - burning fat from a specific spot on your body - so the belief that by doing situps and directly working the gut, that you will lose fat just from the gut - it doesn't work like that of course...
  • Simple, well it is in theory anyway. You need to mix up your cardio work 45-60min, 3-5 days a week and do some low - medium intensity weights/machine doing medium to high reps(12 - 20). Sauna/steam room is a good place for muscle recovery, but shouldn't be a place you got to lose weight. The downside with trying to lose your gut is that that is probably the last place that we see results.

You can excercise all you like, but if you're putting junk in... you'll get junk out (resluts that is)
  • see the thing is i dont eat junk food, or drink often. i eat shredded wheat for brekkie then my food at work i have home made soup tattie or broth etc, maybe a roll or 2if no soup tangerine, apple, bannana, pear, grapes or mixed nuts normally 3 or 4 bits from the fruit selection. Then at night i'll have my dinner which is not processed "mum works from scratch he he" like tatties and mince, chicken stir fry with noodles, fish etc the after dinner i have a cup of tea and maybe a plain biscuit with it. If i get hungry later then i'll either eat fruit or a yoghurt and thats it.

so why a bit of a belly?

dont get me wrong i'm not fat i'm 27 5ft 7 and weigh around ten to ten and a half stone but i carry a bit of blubber lol. I also have diabetes insipitus which effects my water levels like if i dont take the med the i can pee and drink for Scotland. So i think this may have omething to do with it water retention etc.

sorry for the long post.
    felix's bike

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    You'll burn off approx 300 calories per intense 40 min session

That doesn't sound a lot. I burn more than that in 20 minutes on the treadmill or a 25 min ride to the station. May be you are very light but I'm not that huge (12 stone).

J
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    that you will lose fat just from the gut - it doesn't work like that of course...

Ill carry on.

When you exersize and you need to use "fat" your brain releases an enzyme (lipase enzyme I 'think') to burn the fat. Now once this enzyme is in your blood it can hardly say right I'm going to the gut... It gets carried with the blood until it finds some fat and it burns it. Therefore spot burning is not possible, as the enzymes are burning fat from all over your body wherever your bloodstream runs.
  • 2 vital ingredients that I forgot from my earlier repy is: A breakfast smoothie & Green Tea.

I didn't mean that you were eating junk food, but rather what you put in is what you get out
  • I do firmly agree with the only way to loose weight is more calories out than in and the greater the deficit the better as far as I'm concerned. As for you get out what you put in I'm not sure I do agree.

Everyday I ride the 20 miles to work before eating and then have breakfast of a coffee and a plum, then every 2 hours or so I have another different piece of fruit usually banana, orange and apple in that order. The last one maybe omitted depending on how I feel. I then ride 14 miles home and have a good home cooked meal within an hour of getting in, followed by a fruit salad with yoghurt and nuts. And thats it every day. Except on weekends when I eat breakfast. saturday is a rest day and sunday is 3hrs+ but thats done before brekky. Now for me thats a considerable amount of food in a day considering I site behind a desk all day but people say its not enough. However, All my rides are done with an average of between 18 and 20mph (bit less on sundays cos its longer so take it easier) burning over 600 cals on the way in and over 400cals on the way home(approx) so for me eating a regular diet during the day is a no no as it it would put me WAY over cals for the day - taking into account an office worker burns around 1100cals only during the day. Its just not enough of a deficit to warrant eating any more food. Also taking in account that my weight fluctuates 2-3lb a week on this diet but never loosing - which is my ultimate goal so the only way is more miles less food.

I guess my point is, over time your body will adjust to what you feed it and utilise what it has available in the most efficient way.

I think you have to look at your overall life style and what you do during the day in comparison to what you eat. For me an office worker who rides to and from work say 13miles each way as an average who then eats a normal breakfast, snack meals of fruit, a normal lunch, snack meal and then dinner is going to put on weight as the calories don't balance ie more in than out.

thats just my opinion though.

Gats
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    i'm 27 5ft 7 and weigh around ten to ten and a half stone
    I've had dumps which weigh more than you...

I'm really sorry. I just couldn't help myself.
  • 10 and a half stone is where I'm trying to get to and having much difficulty.

gats
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    webbhost wrote:
    if you ride first thing in the morning, before breakfast, you will encourage your body to burn off body fat rather than use energy entering the blood from your stomach. Saw it in the new cycling plus magazine.

I also agree with the gym thing... not tried it myself but seriously thinking about it!

I have always ridden before eating in the mornings and it does work. Felix combine your riding with some weight training and watch those calories!
  • Nuggs wrote:
    i'm 27 5ft 7 and weigh around ten to ten and a half stone
    I've had dumps which weigh more than you...

I'm really sorry. I just couldn't help myself.

ha ha ha i like it. :lol::lol:
    felix's bike

• gkerr4
    webbhost wrote:
    that you will lose fat just from the gut - it doesn't work like that of course...

Ill carry on.

When you exersize and you need to use "fat" your brain releases an enzyme (lipase enzyme I 'think') to burn the fat. Now once this enzyme is in your blood it can hardly say right I'm going to the gut... It gets carried with the blood until it finds some fat and it burns it. Therefore spot burning is not possible, as the enzymes are burning fat from all over your body wherever your bloodstream runs.

in my quote - I was agreeing with you..... it isn't possible -same as you say..
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    10 and a half stone is where I'm trying to get to and having much difficulty.

gats

gats, you're 6ft man!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Hmmm, this is interesting.
    I'm 5'10" and weight 76kg / 167.5lb / 12stones. I eat four times a day.
    Ideally I want to add some muscle and lose some flab but according to that useless BMI calculation I am in the "acceptable" category.

I believe that if you want to lose weight, you have got to exercise more. Eating less might tickle a few pounds off, but upping frequency and intensity of exercise is what brings the best results I reckon.

I reckon that the Cheshire Cat is going to be plenty intense enough - especially Mow Cop on a 39x25 :lol:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Babbsy
    Babbsy Posts: 197
    I do firmly agree with the only way to loose weight is more calories out than in and the greater the deficit the better as far as I'm concerned. As for you get out what you put in I'm not sure I do agree.

Everyday I ride the 20 miles to work before eating and then have breakfast of a coffee and a plum, then every 2 hours or so I have another different piece of fruit usually banana, orange and apple in that order. The last one maybe omitted depending on how I feel. I then ride 14 miles home and have a good home cooked meal within an hour of getting in, followed by a fruit salad with yoghurt and nuts. And thats it every day. Except on weekends when I eat breakfast. saturday is a rest day and sunday is 3hrs+ but thats done before brekky. Now for me thats a considerable amount of food in a day considering I site behind a desk all day but people say its not enough. However, All my rides are done with an average of between 18 and 20mph (bit less on sundays cos its longer so take it easier) burning over 600 cals on the way in and over 400cals on the way home(approx) so for me eating a regular diet during the day is a no no as it it would put me WAY over cals for the day - taking into account an office worker burns around 1100cals only during the day. Its just not enough of a deficit to warrant eating any more food. Also taking in account that my weight fluctuates 2-3lb a week on this diet but never loosing - which is my ultimate goal so the only way is more miles less food.

I guess my point is, over time your body will adjust to what you feed it and utilise what it has available in the most efficient way.

I think you have to look at your overall life style and what you do during the day in comparison to what you eat. For me an office worker who rides to and from work say 13miles each way as an average who then eats a normal breakfast, snack meals of fruit, a normal lunch, snack meal and then dinner is going to put on weight as the calories don't balance ie more in than out.

thats just my opinion though.

Gats

A rough and ready calc

Coffee = 0 cals
    4 pieces of friut = 400 cals
    Home cooked meal = 600 cals
    Fruit salad, yog & nuts = 300 cals

Total intake 1300cals

Cycling commute burns 1000cals

This means you 'live' on 300 cals!

You say an office worker needs 1100 cals, I think even this is probably on the low side. (A 75kg low activity male needs about 2000 cals to maintain weight.)

Obviously this is a broad brush esimate and intake will depend on the type of food you have (black coffee v mochachino with syrup and whipped cream, low fat v full fat yogurt, balance home cooked meal v suet pudding, chips n gravy). Your calorie output is also based on assumptions (how accurately measured is your cycling calorie output) and will be dependent on your weight, age, and inherent DNA.

Having said this though, the fact that you say you are maintaining your weight suggests taht you have teh calorie balance right.
    <font><font>I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.</font></font>
  • popette
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Hmmm, this is interesting.

I reckon that the Cheshire Cat is going to be plenty intense enough - especially Mow Cop on a 39x25 :lol:

Hi McBain,
    Watch this guy going up mow cop on 39x25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGEyFG08DOg
  • Babbsy -

Coffee is always black - Tea is Red bush. Any milk is skimmed. On Sundays I'm allowed 1 skinny cappuccino (73cals) and a cake of some sort but only if I've earned the calories through the mornings ride. Yoghurt is usually soya or non fat. Evening meal is prepared fresh from scratch with home grown veg and fresh meat and fish. I avoid potatoes and only have bread maybe once a month. Rice is brown. Pasta is fresh or whole grain. I don't eat tinned food of any kind. Don't touch crisps or junk food. If I have tea in the evening I forgo a biscuit in favour of a handful of grapes and a rice cake with marmite. I also don't touch alcohol;

thats my point about maintaining weight - if I was to eat any more food I would gain weight so the only way I can see to loose weight is to eat less and ride more. I personally think the assumption that and average male needs 2000 cals a day to maintain weight is complete rubbish. I currently weigh between just over or under 11stone and am finding it really difficult to shift any more although I know I can because I have been 10.5stone and at even under 10. An office worker or an average person trying to loose weight cannot justify eating 3 squares plus snacks no matter how healthy they are.

Gats
  • popette
    An office worker or an average person trying to loose weight cannot justify eating 3 squares plus snacks no matter how healthy they are.

Gats, it can be done this way. The weight drops off slowly, but that's the best way. I lost an enormous amount of weight after having my first child just be eating sensibly - three meals (cereal, sandwich & homemade dinner oh, and one takeaway per week) and snacks in between (fruit) and just doing moderate aerobics for half an hour every other day.

From what you describe above and from the amount of cycling you do, I think you don't eat enough. Perhaps your metabolism is just so slow now because your body isn't getting the energy it needs to keep up with the amount of cycling you do?

Just my opinion and I'm not qualified in anyway so please feel free to reject it, but it seems you're restricting yourself to unhealthy levels.